Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,277   Online: 775

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    There is a nordic nature magazine, Camera Natura, which regularly showcases the work of the usual suspects. It's a good way of getting an overview of the current nature scene here. It's in Swedish, but the emphasis is on pictures, not words, so it would be worth a non-speaker browsing though. www.cameranatura.se. I haven't tried, but I would be astonished if the editorial team could not handle emails in English.
    They definitely are, and subscribing from abroad is extremely easy. I love that magazine. Not only because it's a chance to improve my Swedish. :-)

Antje

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Here are some book by real masters of color landscape photography:

Photographic Technique:

Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography by Galen Rowell

Large Format Nature Photography By Jack W. Dykinga

Light and the Art of Landscape Photography By Joe Cornish

Tom Mackie's Landscape Photography Secrets By Tom Mackie

Landscape Within By David Ward

Lee Frost's Panoramic Photography By Lee Frost

Photographing the Landscape: The Art of Seeing By John Fielder

Landscape Books:

America Wide: In God We Trust By Ken Duncan (one of Australia's top landscape photographers)

Desert: The Mojave and Death Valley By Jack W. Dykinga (whose images saved a desert landscape in the US and Mexico, creating a National Park in the process)

Jack Dykinga's Arizona By Jack W. Dykinga

The Great Southland By Ken Duncan

Links to these books:

http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Reso...Resource=Books
    http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Reso...ce=TravelBooks

Sorry, I don't have anything listed for masters such as David Muench, Tom Till, Tom Mangelsen, Christopher Burkett (who hand prints everything himself on Ilfochrome), Carr Clifton, John Shaw, Andris Apse, the late Peter Dombrovskis (who saved a river in Tasmania from destruction by his photographs), and of course, William Neil. Links: http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Resources.aspx

All you listings above are fine masters of the landscape. But all are a very narrow focus of the gene. And if this is your definition of "real" color landscape photography, fine. That is your opinion.
    I would just suggest to others they look at a wider view of the world around us. The lanscape is more than what Ansel Adams taught at his workshops as "scenery quality." I love all landscape work. My favorite of the group listed above is Christopher Burkett.
    Here is a link to his website:
    http://www.christopherburkett.com/pages/home.html

Walker

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Hello all

Thought it would be interesting to ask others for their favourite colour landscape photography books, along with a weblink and short explanation of why they are your faves.
    River of Colour by Raghubir Singh. It's my favorite because it's the best retrospective compilation of the greatest composer of photographic color imagery, and it has landscapes in it so it should count for purposes of this discussion. My paperback copy, which I found in a Borders cutout bin for $8.00 is my most cherished photo book.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I guess this is in the grey zone, but for me the greatest color landscape (topography) book is:

American Prospects byJoel Sternfeld.

I don't think anybody has mentioned him yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another vote for Jack Dykinga's "Large Format Nature Photography". My hands down favorite. (we may be in the minority, roteague).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mr. Robert M. Teague, where is yours??

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Mr. Robert M. Teague, where is yours??
    Thanks Nicole, but I'm not anywere at these guys level. I keep trying ... I'll be back in Victoria next month , I'll see what I can get on this trip.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One book I like is Intimations of Paradise by Christopher Burkett. More intimate view of the landscape.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    One book I like is Intimations of Paradise by Christopher Burkett. More intimate view of the landscape.
    That one is great. I have a personally signed copy I got from Christopher a couple of years ago.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    All of the members of Robert's list are on mine, but I tend to have two categories of landscape photography. Robert's list is in my saturated category. Then I have my subdued category that right now is only occupied by Freeman Patterson. www.freemanpatterson.com. I've seen others' websites (can't remember their names right now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin