Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,330   Posts: 1,537,193   Online: 817

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Landscape photography is about having an affinity for the natural world...
    That is a very highly restrictive definition of "landscape photography" and, in fact, sounds more to me like "nature photography."

I don't necessarily agree with all of his assesments, beliefs or conclusions, but John Brinkerhoff Jackson would most vociferously argue with your definition. And he is just one amongst many who strongly embraced the aesthetic of man's interaction with the "natural" landscape.

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    That is a very highly restrictive definition of "landscape photography" and, in fact, sounds more to me like "nature photography."

I don't necessarily agree with all of his assesments, beliefs or conclusions, but John Brinkerhoff Jackson would most vociferously argue with your definition. And he is just one amongst many who strongly embraced the aesthetic of man's interaction with the "natural" landscape.

Ed
    Have you read the writings of David Ward on the subject? I've got a reference to his book on my website. One of the best I've read.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have three books of photographs by Eliot Porter; Natures Chaos, The West, and Appalachian Wilderness which was the work that turned me to landscape photography in the first place rather than anything in black and white by AA. It is his way with the 'intimate' landscape that I found most appealing, i.e. 'graphs that do not include the sky or the horizon. I also love Cole Weston's At Home and Abroad. I have several of David Muench's books, but, as beautiful as the pictures are, they don't stay with me the way Porter's do. I guess they're 'too pretty'. I also have Robert Glenn Ketchum's The Legacy of Wilderness which is a collection of some of his images from several different books. It was an exhibition of very large photographs of the Hudson River Valley that I saw in the early 80s that led me to discover the beauty of chaos that few photographer's have ever rivaled in capturing (even Meyerowitz has tried, in black and white, and failed miserably IMHO). Many of these are in a book he published of that body of work which I used to have, but seem to have lost in a move several years ago.

There are more, but the preceding are my favorites.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I have three books of photographs by Eliot Porter; Natures Chaos, The West, and Appalachian Wilderness which was the work that turned me to landscape photography in the first place rather than anything in black and white by AA. It is his way with the 'intimate' landscape that I found most appealing, i.e. 'graphs that do not include the sky or the horizon.
    Great points John. Sometimes, we forget that there is a difference between the "intimate" landscape, as exemplified by Eliot Porter and the "grand" landscapes of AA.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Have you read the writings of David Ward on the subject? I've got a reference to his book on my website. One of the best I've read.
    Not familiar with him. I'll have to check him out.

Thanks.

Ed

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hands down my favorite is still john pfahl's little collection of images - "altered landscapes" (as '80's as his work now seems to me i still love the commitment to the image)

and i guess it's technically not all "landscape photography" but comes together as an interesting approach to what "landscape" actually is - is doug aitken's (with text by dean kuiper) - "i am a bullet"
    "the age of nature is past; it has finally exhausted the patience of all sensitive minds by the loathsome monotony of its landscapes and skies." naturaimmemorial.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Glad to see you posting a good selection Robert, which I also rate highly.

I would add three more to the list:
    Voices of Light by Yousef Khanfaryousefkhanfar.com/
    Scotland's Coast by Joe Cornish. This picture is my favouriteThree shells, Jura but there are many excellent others.
    In the Forest by Peter Dombrovskis, where he treats the landscape with passion and sensitivity peterdombrovskis.com.au

I'm just back from another trip to Cornwall and spent yet more time at Porth Nanven, home of Andrew Nadolskis's End of the Land book.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford View Post
    Glad to see you posting a good selection Robert, which I also rate highly.

I would add three more to the list:
    Voices of Light by Yousef Khanfaryousefkhanfar.com/
    Scotland's Coast by Joe Cornish. This picture is my favouriteThree shells, Jura but there are many excellent others.
    In the Forest by Peter Dombrovskis, where he treats the landscape with passion and sensitivity peterdombrovskis.com.au

I'm just back from another trip to Cornwall and spent yet more time at Porth Nanven, home of Andrew Nadolskis's End of the Land book.
    Hi Baxter,

I've got Joe's book on my list of must haves. I just bought a copy of "Countryside" which he contributed to.

Peter Dombrovskis is a favorite as well. His work to save the Franklin River in Tasmania from being dammed is an inspiration to all landscape photographers.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    River of Colour by Raghubir Singh. It's my favorite because it's the best retrospective compilation of the greatest composer of photographic color imagery, and it has landscapes in it so it should count for purposes of this discussion. My paperback copy, which I found in a Borders cutout bin for $8.00 is my most cherished photo book.
    Absolutely, 100% agreed. See my earlier post in this thread. Singh was a master, and taken away from us too soon. I think Steve McCurry and Singh are at the very pinnacle of what they do with color.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hkr View Post
    Absolutely, 100% agreed. See my earlier post in this thread. Singh was a master, and taken away from us too soon. I think Steve McCurry and Singh are at the very pinnacle of what they do with color.
    Steve McCurry is a travel photographer, not a landscape photographer. Nothing wrong with his work, but being a color photographer doesn't automatically make one a landscape photographer.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin