Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,715   Online: 974

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Landscape photography isn't about the location of an image, it is about the role that aesthetics plays in the image. The aesthetics comes about as a result of the feeling and understanding that the photographer has for his subject. <snip> The one thing that is lacking from the work of people like Shore.
    I couldn't disagree more.

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I didn't really want to join this discussion because my suggestion would have been Simon Norfolk and seeing how others are being shouted down for things that are a little (or sometimes a lot) off the beaten track (pun intended) I felt my suggestion would be treated the same way but here it is anyway. Treat how you must.

But the following quote is what really got me here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    It is a lot like people calling photographs of flowers portraits. They are not portraits. I don't care what type of lighting was used.
    When did the type of lighting dictate that an image was a portrait. And I do consider a lot of the floral images I do a form of portrait.

Be well and enjoy

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusARyan View Post
    When did the type of lighting dictate that an image was a portrait. And I do consider a lot of the floral images I do a form of portrait.

Be well and enjoy

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

So, what makes them portraits?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format

please clarify

I'm not trying to be clever but I've included the definition of portrait from Roget's Thesaurus just to clear up what the word means, what I was trying to get at was what you meant by
    I don't care what type of lighting was used.
    it seems to imply that there is a way of lighting a portrait, admittedly there is a style known as Hollywood portrait, Karsh had a style, Avedon had a style, Leibovitz has a style, Penn has a style, but to say a type of lighting makes something a portrait is .... well I don't know what it is

anyway, I'm not trying to be smart or antagonistic I just want you to clarify what you meant

as always, be well and enjoy

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

Main Entry: portrait
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: representation
    Synonyms: depiction, description, figure, image, likeness, model, painting, photograph, picture, portraiture, portrayal, ..., sketch, snapshot,
    Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)
    Copyright © 2007 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Images
    SO based on the definition (Which is indeed vague because it comes from a thesaurus) every photograph ever made is a portrait. Or is there something else that sets a Landscape photograph apart from a portrait apart from a still life? there are eight sources listed for Portrait on www.dictionary.com. None of them mention vegetation.

I have met several "Flower portraitists" (you see them at a lot of art fairs in southern Colorado). Each used a three point lighting set up in the same way some people portraitists do. They talk about petal lights (hair light) main and catch lighting.

Sorry if the lighting comment bugged you. Get rid of it and you still cannot say an intimate photograph of a flower or piece of vegetation is a portrait. It is a still life. Just like a photograph of an urban cityscape is not a landscape

I am still curious why you say your images might be portraits?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Just like a photograph of an urban cityscape is not a landscape
    What separates an "urban cityscape" (which sounds repetitive to me) from a landscape? Is there a "naturescape?" I think cityscapes, urban landscapes, "regular landscapes," social landscapes, etc. are all types of landscapes. I think the term landscape, or portrait, is a very broad and general term that doesn't necessarily only mean pictures of beautiful, untouched land or pictures of people. I'm just confused why there seems to be the need for such a fine boundary between what a landscape is and what isn't.

-Grant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone View Post
    I think the term landscape, or portrait, is a very broad and general term that doesn't necessarily only mean pictures of beautiful, untouched land or pictures of people.
    I'll say it again "LANDscape". Pretty obvious what it means, and that is what it has meant for the 30+ years I have been doing it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Hell, lets call everything portraits and be done with it. Roget says so, it must be so.

Images
    I believe that Ernst Haas' "The Creation" is still in print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would have to mention Galen Rowell's North America the Beautiful.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin