Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,118   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Favourite colour landscape photography books

Hello all

Thought it would be interesting to ask others for their favourite colour landscape photography books, along with a weblink and short explanation of why they are your faves.

Here are my top 3:

Jan-Peter Lahall ‘ I have seen’
    http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/Book.aspx?id=4301
    A personal exploration of the cycles of nature, regeneration and decay.

Jan Tove ‘Beyond Order’
    http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/Book.aspx?id=4205
    A collection of 'intimate' landscapes, looking at chance, balance and harmony. Also has a thought-provoking title essay.

Andrew Nadolski, 'The end of the land'
    http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/Book.aspx?id=4306
    http://www.nadolski.com
    A rhythmic meditation on time and place - all pictures taken at one small beach.

To my mind, all of these books offer a personal artistic vision.

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking towards my bookshelf for the first four colour landscape books:

John Ganis, Consuming the American Landscape

Virginia Beahan and Laura McPhee, No Ordinary Land

Jem Southam, Landscape Stories

Joel Sternfeld, American Prospects

The concise version of why I like these is that they go beyond the picturesque, the spectacular, the obvious.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My favourites are:

It's probably common knowledge here, but for what it's worth, both Joe Cornish and Charlie Waite are exceptionally good teachers as well as photographers.
    Last edited by Ian Leake; 08-17-2007 at 09:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected spelling, web links, etc. I was too hurried as usual :(

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Photographing the Landscape: The Art of Seeing by John Fielder
    Large Format Nature Photography by Jack W. Dykinga
    Light and the Art of Landscape Photography by Joe Cornish (also called First Light in the UK)

You can read my review of these books here: http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Arti...spx?Article=11
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Cape Light", Joel Meyerowitz

"A1 - The Great North Road", Paul Graham

"Southern Photographs", William Christenberry

This was a revealing task for me -- I don't have many books of color landscape work! :o

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post

This was a revealing task for me --...
    Ed,

Could you reveal some more and tell us how you came across this book, why it is one of the few colour landscape books you have, and maybe more about what you see in it.

I was very happy to see that book published.

Have you seen Paul Graham's 'Beyond Caring'?

Thanks,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 08-17-2007 at 10:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B View Post
    Ed,

Could you reveal some more and tell us how you came across this book, why it is one of the few colour landscape books you have, and maybe more about what you see in it.
    That's a fair question. Let's see if I can answer it! :o

I found it at a local gallery where I live, 20+ years ago, probably right about the time I first saw 'Local Hero,' one of my favorite movies of all time. The film had pretty much blown me away with the beauty of the Northern light (not 'lights' -- I'm talking about the quality of the sky light in the northern latitudes) and finding this book I think just underlined that for me.

It's harder to say what I like about it. Certainly, there are photos in it that I think are incredible, but I think more is that his vision fits my aesthetic. I also like some the underlying ideas of the book -- it is sort of a "road trip" book and it has a specific focus (i.e. the A1).

As for why I don't have very many color landscape books, I really can't say. I have a ton of black and white landscape books; in fact, that's probably most of what is in my collection. It's not a bias against color, per se -- I love color, even though I don't shoot all that much of it anymore. But perhaps, too, I should emphasize that my definition of a 'landscape' book was somewhat narrow. For example, I ruled out 'William Eggleston's Guide.'

Maybe the bottom line of it is that between this book and 'Local Hero', I decided I had to go make pictures in the British Isles. I made it to Ireland the first time (on my honeymoon, with my beautiful Irish lass, who would have been 56 yesterday) in 1993 and finally made it to Scotland in 2006. Odd thing is that, when I finally did get to Scotland, I shot more black and white than color. But I think having an accessible darkroom was a big influence on that.

Hope that helps!

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alec Soth - Hes so smart, and this book just blew me away the first time I saw it. The work he has done since hasn't even come close to measuring up in my opinion (http://www.alecsoth.com/Mississippi-.../frameset.html)

Joel Sternfeld - American Prospects - Inspires me every time I go out to take photographs. And all of the essays are phenomenal. The first book I found that eloquently said a lot of the things that I was struggling to say in my own work, and it came at the perfect time for me to totally embrace it. (already posted above)

Mike Smith - You're Not From Around Here - Okay so this one isn't strictly landscapes..(i suppose the other two aren't either)...and the portraits are my favorite part...but I think this book is an overlooked gem in photography. (http://www.americanplaces.org/CAPgal...mithindex.html)

Jem Southam's Landscape stories was close to making the cut, but I couldn't be TOO much like Helen...although her list was darn good.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    "Cape Light", Joel Meyerowitz

"Southern Photographs", William Christenberry

This was a revealing task for me -- I don't have many books of color landscape work! :o

Ed
    I also don't have many books of color landscape work, but I concur 100% about "Cape Light". I've had it for five years now and look at it at least 2-3 times a week. Also, love Meyerowitz' "Bay/Sky". Wonderful stuff.

Not completely landscape, but Sam Abell's work in "Seeing Gardens" and "Stay This Moment" is simply captivating.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Galen Rowell yet, so I will. Hard to pick just one of his books, though. I'll choose "Mountain Light" for now.

Also, Stephen Shore's "Gardens at Giverny".

Great thread - looking forward to reading on...
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 08-18-2007 at 12:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I hate/loathe Meyerowitz..... his work is boring, lacking in any type of understanding of the natural world around.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin