Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,887   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Lori's scheduled to work on the 13th of October but is trying to switch days with somebody. With luck, we'll see you in Gualala.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy Blum Cooper View Post
    Yours is an exhibition that I wish I could see. Best of luck to you!

D~
    My sentiments exactly !

Best wishes for the show Kerik. May fame greet you fast enough to take a touring exhibition down our way one day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks again all. John - How I would LOVE to come to New Zealand!!

Brad - That would be great!! I have a slight fear that it could be a party w/o many guests. Gualala is off the beaten path and the tourist season is winding down by then...

The opening at Mumm was this past saturday and it was great fun. We had a pretty decent turnout and most of the photographers in the show made an appearance including Chris Burkett, Bill Neill, Richard Lohmann, Carol Henry, Michael Frye and Charlie Cramer. My work was quite well received and I was pleased with the feedback. This is the first time the wet plate images have been shown as a group. There was lots of other interesting work in the show as well. Plus, the nice folks at Mumm sent home a case of their various wines and champagnes with each of the artists in the show.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kerik,

Hi I've studied this process in Gettysburg for a semester and was experimenting with different ways of scaning the images. What do you do to make prints? How do you scan your plates?

sean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sean,

I scan my plates at 1200 dpi in 16-bit mode with an old Epson 2450 for plates up to 8x10. Larger plates I scan with a Umax XL at 800 dpi (max rez for that scanner).

I make prints either by making digital negs and gum-platinum prints or inkjet prints with an Epson 3800.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I received some invites from the gallery:

Come check it out, if you can.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    My wife woke before the sun and had already put in a few hours work at the hospital by the time I too rose. I got up around seven, poured myself a cup of something hot, dark and strong from South America. I began to contemplate the day ahead. I pour myself another cup of the South American Brew. Coffee from Ecuador has a singular earthiness about it that is unmatched. I browse the local newspaper for signs of life "Is there any intelligence on this planet?" and examine my misgivings about the world, about political economies, about the sojourn that lay ahead... Friday, the day before the show, I had contemplated bagging the whole trip. I was feeling a bit low, my little one had the snuffles and an early winter storm was passing through. The weather was clear and dry now. My accountant would be off work around noon. The plan was that we would pick her up and fly up the coast to Gualala. The Studio 391 website says it is but 115 miles - a distance that I figured we could easily cover in a couple hours time. We would easily make the artist's reception from 3-5PM I thought.

As the morning progresses, I make waffles for the kids, check ebay, APUG, email and Paypal (had KEH refunded me that money for the bummer Nikon FA they sent me yet? - No!, grrr!). Time to pack up the car. Jackets, blankets, dog food, the travelling 4x5 kit, a bag of film holders and the new lightweight, compact tripod. I check the batteries in the light meter and toss in a spare - just in case. The kids, the dog, and we're ready to go...I dart back into the house for a bag full of snack for the road. Back at the car....the dog has escaped and is roaming the 'hood...arrrgh!

Now it was almost noon - we're behind schedule but, what's this? I am shaking, jittery, UPTIGHT! This is most un-natural. What is going on?....Oh, yeah, I had fed the kids but forgot to feed myself. Three cups of joe and a few oreo's have left me in a most unstable state. A programmer can suffer much but, even I need some normal sustenance from time-to-time.

I prepare a bowl of oats. I eat. We depart. We arrive at the hospital around 12:45 - we're late but it is good. Lori had more work than could be finished by noon anyway. We drop the dog at Uncle Tim's, in Novato ( I forgot to bring her leash and a discussion ensues). Finally we are underway again and head for the coast.....Petaluma, Bodega, Jenner, north and west we crawl...and then we arrive at at a fork in the road and a sign announces that only fourty miles remain in our journey.

Travelling up the rocky and wild California coast in the bright, mid-day sun and I am reminded of former journeys along this coast. In our days before kids, we travelled along this coast many times together. And the peace which cannot be fully understood by man o'er comes me. G-d himself is here. I cannot understand what draws me toward the Mendocino coast...but I, at least, am at peace - even as my accountant's fingers dig ever deeeper into my thigh as I pilot the car around each turn or close approach. "That's gonna leave a mark" I think to myself.

Finally, we arrive. I park the car. In the little dirt parking lot beside the gallery, she changes from her scrubs into nice jeans and a sweater and we head for the gallery door. It is something like 4:15PM. We're late but, we've not missed it.

Just inside the door, I see the familiar face. The gentle and kind face of a friendship briefly made a year or so previous. He receives a color portrait from a kindly local gentleman with an impressive beard. The instant, digital, color photos show Kerik's demonstration from earlier that day. A discussion of digital versus wet plate collodian ensues.

From the threshold of the gallery, I note that Kerik's work is everywhere. Each of the three expansive walls of the main gallery are filled with ethereal flowers in wet plate collodian. I am struck by the light. The little bits of light that only collodian seems it can capture....overcome, chuckling to myself, I think "and these are only flowers and bits of twigs in vases"....Amazing.

Moments pass, and it is our turn. We greet the artist as warmly as we dare in this society. His hands littered with the effects of silver nitrate solution, he is shy about shaking hands but un-deterred, we shake and I am aware of the presence of a gentle person. And the light from his work, little slices of sun creep from behind wilting flower petals and seep through the glass vases. It fills the room and my heart. The hostess offers me a glass of white wine. We exchange pleasantries and I take my leave. I move to the three walls and visit each of the floral portraits. There is much new work. Many I have not seen. There are a few 11 X 14's but the majority are 8x10s. All identically framed. I sip wine, munch crackers and cheese and drink in the light. I feast upon each tiny bunch or rays that peeking out from behind a leaf or branch, glowing from the varnished darkness that surrounds it...it is a lovely thing and I know that it is good that I have made the journey.

After a time, Kerik demonstrates the process...he makes it look easy. and I think that the crowd is fooled into believing that it is. He is a master of the craft. Quiet, unassuming and gentle, he even has me thinking it's easy for a moment. And I remind myself almost audibly, that I am watching a master. It's not easy I tell myself. He's just that good. We gather around the back door of his covered wagon - the modern day collodian dark room. Strong smells of collodian, ether and pure grain alcohol waft from the darkroom and all are amazed. The master shares an anectdote as he works and a happy chatter grows in the crowd and I slip into a dream. I'm watching William Henry Jackson on his journey through the west...

It is a lovely day, I am fortunate beyond measure and I am happy I came.
    Last edited by BradS; 10-14-2007 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brad,

I am humbled by your kind words. Thanks to you and Lori and the boys for making the long trip. My girls and I had a great time. Paul and Carol Kozal are wonderful people and have a very nice gallery space in a beautiful part of the world. Here's a few snaps from the show:

http://kerik.com/_MG_4503b.jpg
    http://kerik.com/_MG_4507b.jpg
    http://kerik.com/_MG_4508b.jpg
    love those red dots:
    http://kerik.com/_MG_4510.jpg

Sunday morning I went out and shot a few more plates. Here's one:
    http://kerik.com/gualala_trees_v1.jpg
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin