Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,618   Online: 743

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Joel Meyerowitz Tuscany book in discount rack at Barnes & Noble

I just got a copy of the Joel Meyerowitz book about Tuscany ("Through the light" I think is the title). They had it on the "discount" books rack at my Barnes & Noble for $12.98. The book is beautifully printed and produced, and it shows Joel working with a Deardorff 8x10 and a 250 Wide-Field Ektar on the inside dust flap. If you're interested, now's the time to hunt it down and get a copy on the cheap.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Perfect, I need some more toilet paper.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tell us how you REALLY feel, Robert

What do you dislike about it so much?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Tell us how you REALLY feel, Robert

What do you dislike about it so much?
    Actually, that is the very first book of his work that I saw, and it really turned me off from his work. I find his work banal, lacking in any type of feelings and a general disregard for the land in general. Just my opinion.

Sorry for the original post, his work sets me off. I'll try to keep it in check in the future, realizing that some people actually like his work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No worries- I picked it up because I liked some of the images, and the place has a resonance for me above and beyond what he might do to it photographically. It's ok to have a strong opinion about him.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Happens to a lot of photo books. The question is how long did it take to be remaindered?
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a copy of the Joel Meyerowitz book about Tuscany ("Through the light" I think is the title).
    I remember when it first came out. I think Michael and Paula had just released their books on Tuscany, and a local professional photographer had also put up an exhibition of that area. I was not inclined to purchase the book at all. It seemed very superficial and 'prettily' sterile. It was one of those moments when one thinks that various locations (Yosemite, Zabriskie Point, Iceland, Death Valley, Slot Canyons, the 'wave', etc.) are the 'de jour' sites for the full time photographer of landscapes, and 'fine art' who feel that just showing up and making an acceptable image is good enough. Well....I didn't think so then, nor do I now.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I picked it up because I liked some of the images, and the place has a resonance for me
    I think that is why I react so negatively to his work Tuscany is such a fantastically beautiful place, at least from what I have seen in photos (I've never actually been there). I feel like his work trashes such a wonderful place.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I remember when it first came out. I think Michael and Paula had just released their books on Tuscany, and a local professional photographer had also put up an exhibition of that area. I was not inclined to purchase the book at all. It seemed very superficial and 'prettily' sterile. It was one of those moments when one thinks that various locations (Yosemite, Zabriskie Point, Iceland, Death Valley, Slot Canyons, the 'wave', etc.) are the 'de jour' sites for the full time photographer of landscapes, and 'fine art' who feel that just showing up and making an acceptable image is good enough. Well....I didn't think so then, nor do I now.
    I agree totally about this book. Compared to what Smith and Chamlee did his work was just so so. And not compared to their work it was so so. I did have the opportunity to casually view M&Ps Tuscany work and that maybe why I never warmed up to Meyerowitz's vision of the same area.

His book 'Cape Light' is another story though. I think it is orginal in concept and execution, though at times the images can be a bit repititous. Still it's a good effort.

All of his books can be purchased online for practically nothing.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    His book 'Cape Light' is another story though. I think it is orginal in concept and execution, though at times the images can be a bit repititous. Still it's a good effort.

All of his books can be purchased online for practically nothing.
    I'm a fan of Meyerowitz, and I think the Tuscany book is okay, although the muted, washed out colors page after page gets a little monotonous.

"Bay/Sky" is flat-out wonderful, and a worthy companion to Cape Light. Robert: If you haven't already, try to muster the patience for that book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin