Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,718   Online: 812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can get Bruce Barnbaum's latest edition of Art of Photography at his website
    Would also recommend Eddie Ephraums Creative Elements: Darkroom Techniques for Landscape Photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Barnbaum Book

This is the book along with the info on Michael Smith's website that changed my darkroom work forever. Buy it!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I hope that soon I will find the time to practice and learn what they are teaching.
    That's the essential bit.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondrej1 View Post
    [*]Bernhard Suess: Mastering Black-and-White Photography: From Camera to Darkroom
    The Suess book you mention is not what most readers would call an advanced book, more an introduction, IMHO one of the two best ones to buy at that level as a practial hands-on book.

The more advanced book from Suess is:

Creative Black-and-White Photography
    by Bernard J Suess. (Allworth Press)
    Follows on from Mastering Black-and-White Photography with more advanced techniques.

I don't think anyone mentioned Post Exposure by Ctein, I found that explained quite a few things very well for me.

In terms of moving your photography along don't forget attending a good workshop and viewing exhibitions, I think there is much truth in this quotation (which presumably you'd agree or you wouldn't be posting here!):

"Your own photography is never enough. Every photographer who has lasted has depended on other people’s pictures too – photographs that may be public or private, serious or funny, but that carry with them a reminder of community."

Robert Adams in “Why People Photograph”

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another essential book (along with his earlier 'Beauty in Photography').
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The one book that has made the most difference in my work is "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Woodhouse and Lambrecht
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank to all who responded, it is wonderful to have APUG here.

Way Beyond Monochrome,
    Edge of Darkness, and The Photographer's Master Printing Course were on my list but unfortunately they are now unavailable at amazon.com, i will try to find them elsewhere.

Thank you for poining out John Blakemores Black & White Photography Workshop, it seems this is what I was looking for. Well I like the title picture anyway, so most likely I will buy this one as well.

As for Barnbaum´s Art of Photography, I will try to contact the author via his website, if he can send it across the pond. Ctein´s book is on my watch list as well.

Shypii90
    I have this great darkroom book but I don't know if it's Advanced enough for your needs:

"The Essential Darkroom Book" by Grill & Scanlon (published 1983 though)

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The John Blakemore is the book to go for if you only get one-IMO it's a future classic! Keep a lookout for the others in 2nd hand bookshops.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin