Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,928   Online: 877

Shooter
    Multi Format

MET Photo Exhibits

The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is currently showing "Depth of Field: Modern Photography at the Metropolitan" and "Impressed by Light: British Photographs from Paper Negatives, 1840-1860".
    They are both worth seeing. The "Impressed by Light..." is a very large exhibit and I found myself rushing through it as it was close to closing time. I intend to go back to have a another look at it. The museum will be install a new photo exhibit (from its permanent collection) every six months in its newly dedicated Modern Photography Hall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed they are. I was particularly impressed by the British photography when I stopped in there the other day. I didn't spend much time looking at the modern stuff, since I had other placed to be. That's next, along with the Rembrant's and other Dutch paintings, on the agenda. I'm crazy about the way those old masters used light. I've been a MET member for a long time, so I go often but never spend more than an hour or two each time. It's easy to be overwhelmed in that place.

Renato, did you check out the sliding box camera and contact printing frame. I overheard some people remarking how things are not done that way any more. If they only had a clue.

The New Greek and Roman Galleries are good places to photograph musem goers. All are lit by huge skylights, and are bright enough to allow handheld photography with relatively slow film in many places. Still, I would recommend something around ISO 400 with reasonably fast lenses (f/2.8 or better) for best results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I overheard some of the same remarks on how "things are not done that way anymore"; I had to smile.
    I will probably check out the exhibit on Rembrandt next weekend. I also tend to overload after a couple of hours.
    I've started photographing the Greek & Roman galleries with HIE with mixed results. I think I'm getting there too late (3-4PM) to take advantage of the brightness from the skylight. Next time I'll go back late morning and I will take notes and do some tests to get a better handle on the HIE exposures.

Frank, did you look at "Light on Stone", a book available in the MET's main shop? The photos are by one of their staff photographers (Joseph Coscia, Jr.). It's very nicely done and I was compelled to fork over $40. to get it. I resisted temptation in getting the book on the early British photographers ($75. or so) but I may some day succomb to temptation, maybe as early as next week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't browsed the gift shop recently, let alone the books. I'm too easily tempted to pick up something that's overpriced and will probably see service as a dust collection device in short order. I' d love to have a great collection of books, trinkets, etc.; but the fact is I'm awash in clutter now. No sense adding to the confusion.

Here's a tip. Wait till the show is over. The price will drop.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin