Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,447   Online: 917

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, thank you. I never saw "Sverige" but found some images on the web. Looks interesting! But I can't find it on an online bookstore. So guess I have to actually walk to a bookshop!

I'll check out the lrb-stuff. But for some reason I can not take in online material as well. It feels a bit too much like work...

/matti

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    For general reading on art and the life of artists I find nobody interests me as regularly and as pleasurably as Peter Campbell, who writes essays in the twice-monthly London Review of Books. Many are available for free here (although minus the often interesting illustrations):

http://www.lrb.co.uk/contributors/camp01

If you haven't already got Gerry Johansson's "Sverige" you should rush out and buy a copy as soon as the bookshops open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you! This is exactly what I had in mind. (My daughter is only six, I wonder if it is OK to let her play with mercury vapors or if I have to wait four years.)

We call it Indian Summer here as well, it's just that we don't have it... maybe I should restart this thread in a month?

/matti

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    It's been near 90f for days in NYC...we call it Indian Summer over here.

It may be dry for some but I found Beaumont Newhall's "The Daguerreotype in America" fascinating, funny and inspiring. If a 10 year old "operator" could make a perfect $1 dag in Mathew Brady's NYC galleries, I can make a decent cyanotype.

http://www.amazon.com/Daguerreotype-.../dp/0486233227

Also "The Poet of Prague" about Josef Sudek. He had one arm and lugged an 8x10 or a huge panoramic camera all over that city and I was moaning about my Mamiya c330f.

http://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Pr...1877091&sr=1-1

Be well

Victor

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just got this book called 'Foto-modernity in Central Europe 1918-45'-looks fantastic and covers one of the most exciting eras of photography. Contains work by Sudek, Funke etc and many lesser known but fascinating photographers.Also 'Atget:the pioneer'-looks at a hugely influeuntial photographer and his legacy.You can see why the Surrealists (see also previous book) loved his work.
    Mario Giacomelli-Italy's Bill Brandt (rather a crude generalization but well worth a look).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you. I ordered the Atget-book. I have been thinking of finding something about him. The Foto-modernity in Central Europe 1918-45 wasn't really an easy book to find...

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matti,

I don't know if you have already seen it passing by in the last couple of weeks, but you might like to check out my forum post here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/4...processes.html

I found this book really an eye opener...

Cheers,

Marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matti-I bought my copy of 'Foto' of Amazon (published by Thames & Hudson).If you like the Atget book then Walker Evans & Company (ed Peter Galassi) is top stuff and a good companion. 'Self Portrait' by lee Friedlander is another fave of mine-classic offbeat stuff (retrospective recently published again edited by Peter Galassi).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Power of Art" by Simon Schama. It discusses a key masterpiece from eight masters (Carvaggio, Bernini, Rembrandt, David, Turner, Van Gogh, Picasso and Rothko). This is the companion book to a PBS series from last year.

Very compelling read about the issues and struggles that great artists go through.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon Schama is such a great writer on art-if you work in the landscape then 'Landscape & Memory' should definitely be on your shelves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin