Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,902   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

At last summer is over! - Any good books?

This year I actually thought I should miss the summer when it ended. But now, when it is over, I feel so good about being able to get down in the dark room, take care of the developing back log and engage in some APUG-discussion. (Since I sent of my print exchange prints last week, I don't have to feel too guilty, coming here either.)

To really get going again, I would like some inspiration. For me, that means books! So, can anyone please advice on a couple of books to order from Amazon or an antiquarian?

It can be technical, photo books, maybe a good art book on composition in classical paintings, some photo historical stuff, alt techniques. Actually it can be anything as long as it gives me inspiration the same way I find inspiration in Thorntons Edge of Darkness, Sally Manns Immediate family, Keepers of Light or th book "Bystander" on Street photography.

I already decided to find something by Anders Petersen.

/matti

Shooter
    35mm
    What, summer is over! It never got started in Ireland
    As I'm going to live in denial and continue to wait for summer, I can't suggest any books yet.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We are having a late summer here - Oh, and the light in winter is better than the summer.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It still feels like summer here too. I'll be glad when it cools off a bit. I can get out more with the camera. My only problem with winter is when we turn on the heat in the house. It makes printing very difficult because the humidity drops to low levels.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    It still feels like summer here too. I'll be glad when it cools off a bit. I can get out more with the camera.
    Sorry, I have a back-log of books to finish myself, but I've not had one lately that I would recommend.

Summer is alive and well in Texas, too. Still, a couple of us are heading to the Hill Country on Wednesday to brave the "higher than average" temps (it's never average - have you noticed?) and burn some film. All hail air conditioning!
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What? No other people living at 59°19′ N here? And Lewis doesn't count. I suppose it is 15°C there all year around. (It was when I sailed there in July seven years ago.)

Please, try. Soon I will start to reread BTZS for the third time, and I know I won't really get it this time either. Even though it is good, it's not really that much of an inspiration.

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And why doesn't Lewis count? :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For general reading on art and the life of artists I find nobody interests me as regularly and as pleasurably as Peter Campbell, who writes essays in the twice-monthly London Review of Books. Many are available for free here (although minus the often interesting illustrations):

http://www.lrb.co.uk/contributors/camp01

If you haven't already got Gerry Johansson's "Sverige" you should rush out and buy a copy as soon as the bookshops open.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    It's been near 90f for days in NYC...we call it Indian Summer over here.

It may be dry for some but I found Beaumont Newhall's "The Daguerreotype in America" fascinating, funny and inspiring. If a 10 year old "operator" could make a perfect $1 dag in Mathew Brady's NYC galleries, I can make a decent cyanotype.

http://www.amazon.com/Daguerreotype-.../dp/0486233227

Also "The Poet of Prague" about Josef Sudek. He had one arm and lugged an 8x10 or a huge panoramic camera all over that city and I was moaning about my Mamiya c330f.

http://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Pr...1877091&sr=1-1

Be well

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are in the middle of the Gulf Stream. You are spared from our horrible -20 C freezing days. OK, you get the darkness, but I bet it is still about 15 C outside in January, isn't it? Some day I will move away from the cold.

/matti

Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    And why doesn't Lewis count? :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin