Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,198   Online: 864

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format

The Genius of Photography

I posted the following yesterday, probably in the wrong section of the forum,so am repeating it now :-

Members who are able to receive the BBC 4 television channel should be aware that a new 'definitive' series starts on Thursday, 25th October at 9pm.
    It is billed as an impressively thorough exploration of all aspects of photography from the days when Henry Fox Talbot and Louis Daguerre announced their different ways of making photographs.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sure it will be worth a look. We just need to remember that it is for Joe Public rather than dedicated photogs and judge it accordingly.

pentaxuser

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shall watch it with interest as I had to study the history of photography when I did my "A level" photography course/exams as a mature student some years ago. It was split up to the year 1900 and post 1900, the choice of period for the written exam being left to the candidate.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 1/2 hours to go.... And I notice they are repeating the documentary on Edward Chambre Hardman immediately after it.

Bob.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    2 1/2 hours to go.... And I notice they are repeating the documentary on Edward Chambre Hardman immediately after it.

Bob.
    See the bu---rs, nothing for months then all at once and me with a 5am start. If I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck, any idea when they will repeat the repeat of the Edward Chambre Hardman program.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both were well worth watching, though unfortunately I have to miss the first 15 mins of all the 'Genius of Photography' series.

I thought the first programme in the series was particularly strong on the power of vernacular photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I watch BBC, it is for Dr. Who, Torchwood, or Graham Norton. ;D

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm putting it on to DVD. It's one to be kept. The last time the BBC did a great series was the 1970's Masters of Photography. Would really love that repeated!

Pity they "artists" turning their noses up at vernacular photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice start to the series but a bit surprised they mentioned Davy, Fox Talbot and Daguerre but nothing about Niepce. I found the daguerreotype piece fascinating , especially the unique look of the things.

Superb program afterwards about Chambre Hardman. Some of his work must look stunning in the flesh. The Ark Royal photograph ( http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...ECH110001D.jpg )is world class and stands up with the best of them.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

BBC - The Genius of Photography

Did anyone see the first installment of this last night (BBC4)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/photography/genius

Found it really interesting - I think it is repreated in a couple of days - may say on the website.

First episode started right at the beginning - some really interesting stuff - photographer making Daguerrotypes was fascinating, as were the New York crime scene photorgaphs. Plust loads of other stuff.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin