Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,535   Online: 1140

Page 1 of 24 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Lenswork - Ouch!

The new newstand price for Lenswork will be $12.95 starting in Jan '08. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchhh!
    Will you still buy it, or will you finally break down and subscribe?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I stopped subscribing when they started featuring more digital stuff than silver.

I find that there's usually one really good portfolio and a lot of stuff I don't like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope..I don't buy any mags anymore, unless it's realy, really special.
    US version B&W seems to recently have downgraded their paper and print quality too...I let that one expire..I was impressed with the latest FOCUS because of paper and print quality upgrade, though I still won't buy it, or any.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Remi View Post
    I stopped subscribing when they started featuring more digital stuff than silver......
    Sadly, I also stopped subscribing for the same reason.
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Remi View Post
    I stopped subscribing when they started featuring more digital stuff than silver.
    I quit buying it for the same reason.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found that the issues fluctuate in the amount of digital content. I enjoy the magazine, and it has the best printing of any B&W mag on the news stand. I should subscribe, but in the meantime I will keep buying it.

Brooks has said repeatedly, and I'll just echo it- if you want to see more traditional work in Lenswork, submit it. He can't print what he doesn't have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Brooks has said repeatedly, and I'll just echo it- if you want to see more traditional work in Lenswork, submit it. He can't print what he doesn't have.
    Good point; but personally I don't pay much attention to Lenswork anymore simply because the editorial team seems to have a very limited view of what constitutes interesting work.

Of course, pretty much all magazines are like that (if you want style X read magazine A, etc), so that's why I'm sticking to Aperture, Prefix, and Blind Spot for stuff that I like.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I have found that the issues fluctuate in the amount of digital content. I enjoy the magazine, and it has the best printing of any B&W mag on the news stand. I should subscribe, but in the meantime I will keep buying it.

I dunno. The first time I ever bought the mag it made a big point about how highly selective it is. Kind of made me figure that I'm lucky they even let the likes of me look at it.

Coincidently, that issue was the first one that also featured digital pictures of "hot" and "classic" cars shot at some rich man's auto show at Pebble Beach.

I sure as heck won't pay $13 bucks for a bunch of digital car pics and I'm not a pro shooter anyway - so I don't make either cut.

Nope, not interested, no way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I have griped about the digi content before, I still find that every couple of issues they have a portfolio that I really like and that inspires me to go out and photograph again. Frankly, I've never found a magazine of any sort that I read cover to cover, much less every time.

It's beautifully printed, and still has work that can inspire me. I may think a little harder about whether I really like a specific portfolio THAT much, but there have been several that I come back to time and again. So yeah, I probably will still pick it up from time to time.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I just saw Jim Galli's portraits in some magazine.

But I saw 'em here first, then his website.
    Murray

Page 1 of 24 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin