Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,997   Online: 1095

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    cheers, thats my next port of call

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Possible US Magazines:

The one before that was Bruce Barnham's darkroom techniques. Bruce is on the Large Format Forum and works as part of the team of: Richard Ritter (camera builder & repair), Bruce, Ted Harris (Contributing Editor for View Camera Magazine).

John Powers
    Bruce Barlow is the Bruce that works with Ritter and Harris. The three of them offer Fine Focus Workshops in VT and NH.

John
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post
    Borders sell Silvershotz. That's where I get it from anyhow.
    My local Borders carries both Silvershotz and Lenswork. 40 mi. W.of Chicago
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    And http://www.lenswork.com/ for another.
    Dave, if you had to choose either Silvershotz or Lenswork, which would you go for? I've just received a sampler for Lenswork, and it looks great, but Silvershotz also seems to have additional stuff that I'd be interested in (the paper flasher test for instance)

What would you say are the relative merits (apart from cost difference for shipping!)?

Thanks

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I disagree with others about Photo Techniques Magazine. I let my subscription expire because they are so heavily weighted towards digital and what they do have about darkroom techniques is the same old stuff that has been done over and over again. There is never anything fresh. Oh, they have some esoteric technical stuff that is enough to bore someone to death although I can't imagine anyone actually getting anything from it.... charts and graphs made by people who don't actually do photography but rather like to test theories. I just wish there was a magazine that had the guts (and the subscribers) to devote itself, without apologies, to traditional film photography. Photo Techniques tries to be everything for everyone but ends up being very little for anyone. Save your money. LensWork, contrary to a recommendation here, has virtually nothing about darkroom techniques or technique at all with the minor exception of the darkroom tours in LensWork Extended, but even those are becoming more and more about the digital work-flow and they really don't get into technique in any depth anyway. But that's not LensWork's purpose anyway. They're "above" all that technical stuff! Their real purpose, besides showcasing some very fine photography, seems to be simply to give Brooks Jensen a platform to speak from... and speak he does... endlessly... and to showcase his own work and that of his friends.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for you help
    I will take a look at silvershotz.
    The home page looks good and promising

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    old editions of "Camera And Darkroom"? I got a stack off ebay but haven't gotten around to reading them

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with Nige.... old editions of Camera & Darkroom were very good. You can probably find them on eBay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin