Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,410   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ctein Show at World Fantasy Con (also Laurie Toby Edison and Beth Gwinn)

Last Friday night I was at a party at the World Fantasy Convention in Albany, New York, when I happened to see the name "Ctein" on one of those nametags that everyone wears. I momentarily went into a state of shock not really sure if I was in a fantasy convention or a photo convention, but, looking around the room at the pirates (it was a pirate party after all) I managed to sort it out. (The "pirate punch" might have had something to do with my confusion as it was mostly pirate and not much punch.) I somehow managed to blurt out "Are you really Ctein? Why are you here?" which was undoubtedly rude given the fact that there really can't be more than one Ctein (which he pointed out to me! - see http://www.ctein.com.) Turns out he is a long-time science fiction/fantasy fan (as well as a really nice fellow) and attends scifi/fantasy conventions regularly.

The next morning I managed to remember something of the night before and went down to the artist's gallery at the convention where Ctein had several prints from his "Christmas in California" series. (See http://ctein.com/Xmas_portfolio.htm) I'm not sure if what I saw were dye-transfer prints, but they looked very nice to my untrained eye. I think the series would be titled more accurately as "High Wierdness at Christmas" though. Ctein manages to capture both the beauty of these outdoor displays as well as the feeling that they are somewhat out of place in the suburban desert of California, which seeps in from the edges of the frame no matter how high the wattage deployed to keep it out.

Also at the convention was Laurie Toby Edison - http://laurietobyedison.com/ I saw her book on display but didn't get a chance to talk to her - hopefully next convention.

I also saw Beth Gwinn (www.bethgwinn.com) running around, but everytime I saw her she was moving very, very quickly in the direction opposite where I was headed and I stupidly never got around to setting up a time to talk to her. Beth has been making portraits of writers for a while now, as evidenced by the photo of John Crowley I found on the inside back cover of the new (to me) book _Novelties_ I picked up at the convention. She has a book available on Amazon right now - http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Dreamers-...4302533&sr=1-1

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I know why Ctein told me he would be away for the early part of November! He has published some of his Christmas pictures in an article in Photo Techniques about 3 years ago.

In any event, I have to bug him about his SF interests. I collect SF books and have about 6000 of them, many of them first editions.

Hope you enjoyed the convention Will. You should visit Baen's Bar.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to my wife who was there also (selling books) Ctein often shows up at Boskone which is a Boston area SF convention.
    http://kathryncramer.typepad.com/pho.../img_4514.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,
    Would you like about 6000 more SF books? My wife is volunteering the space for more enlargers...

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Barry, probably duplicates.

Besides, what would I do with my photography book library? Along with my chemistry library and my math library and my other books, the house is overflowing with books.

I'm a speed reader and can finish a novel in about 1 day, sometimes 2, so I stack up a lot of books. You must be one as well to have that many.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, did you manage to call him KUH-TINE despite your condition, or did you slip like I would and call him SEE-TEIN ?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone here know Ctein's original name?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post

Tom.

He does not want it to be used. So, if anyone knows, please do not post it. I'm sure that Ctein would appreciate the thoughtfulness.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post

Tom.
    How did he come to be called Ctein?

And whadda I gotta do to get me one of those one-name monikers?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day all

i don't know of this photographer but i just had a look at his website, i must say the images don't strike me as anything special, have i missed something?

Ray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin