Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,276   Online: 1113

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to reccomend reading the article by Brooks Jensen about his experiences with a 20 year photo project and what he learned about breaking many of the "rules" of photography. And as usual another great edition of work by others.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I read the article and then subscribed - that is the whole thing - isn't it? Seeing and communicating. I love big prints. But I also like something that is new and communicates something different. It is food for thought that i will need some time to integrate - thanks for the tip - I now subscribe to View Camera - Black & White Magazine and now ---- Lenswork.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LensWork has always been a great publication. I have always enjoyed the presentation of portfolios and discussions with the artists. I plan on purchasing the CD that contains issues from 1-40. For the price it seems like a real bargain for all the interviews and insights as well as the work presented.
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a great piece, and I think I might order the folio.

I've been very attracted to small folios and albums recently. I have a number of prints hanging around the apartment, but the thing that seems to draw people in the most is an album of 5x5" prints I've been accumulating on the coffee table. It's kind of like a diary, and most of the images are personal--friends, family, travel photos, and such--but in a nice book with thick handmade paper, and with the format of 5x5" b&w images providing some formal unity. The images are mounted with clear mounting corners.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

It was a GREAT article.

And it made me realize how stuck by the rules I have really been. For instance, I often think of including text with photographs with people so you can have a deeper sense of whom I have photographed. But I always thought it wasn't "right". And since I have been contact printing a lot lately, and contacting a lot of 4x5's, I had thought about putting them in portfolios instead of on the wall. And thought nah, they should be enlarged and be on the wall. Until I read Brook's piece.

I love Lenswork. I look for it ever time it comes out, and I wish it were monthly.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is easy to get trapped by the so called "rules" or let your expression be influenced by what ever is the current flavor of the day. The article reinforces what I was taught once, that it is easy to hear all the noise and be influenced by the loudest voices, the secret is to learn to listen to your own creative voice and not be afraid to follow it, even if it goes against conventional wisdom.

It seems so obvious, but in reality can be very challenging
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin