Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,756   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    David,

I applaud you, a well thought out and informed response. I think that we should recognize that the images and information that we review in a publication have most probably been digitally created at some point.

Therefore, in my opinion, this site serves a very needed function that has not and will never be filled by a publication. What I mean is the individual sharing of information and experience, the postcard exchange, the traveling portfolio, and ultimately the fellowship of others who enjoy conventional photography.

I still purchase photographic publications and they are informative but they seem almost sterile in comparison to this site. Perhaps what I wish to do is to recognize all those who were involved in the creation of this forum and to thank all of the participants.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

I should add that a magazine that has become more relevant to me is Lenswork. I now wait as patiently as possible for two months to pass so that I can see every next issue.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know I will sort of disagree here.

To me these magazines are a great source of "what is out there". I get both VC and CA, and I find they are great ways to see what others are doing. Sort of a snapshot of what is out there.

That said....

I do think the digital thing is getting more space than it should. I mean to look at the ads you'd think that digital is 80% of sales. But it isn't.

Personally I am about to embark on 4-5 years of pure photography. I have decided to get my MFA in photography at the University of Arizona. To start I will be getting ANOTHER bachelors degree (which should only take 1-1.5 years) to solidify my darkroom skills, and then move into an MFA at the UofA (or who knows somewhere else).

What will be really interesting is seeing where the new students are at vs the old hands/profs. I know I will be coming from an unsual background in that I have been taking pictures for a while now and I have been going more towards the older methods. A lot of the students in undergrad will be pretty fresh to things. I think they will help determine the future to some degree. It will be fascinating to see what they gravitate towards.

As to my opinion, I can't see analog ever dying out. Hell, people still work in albumen and salted paper! Plus, black and white analog work has a certain look and feel that I have yet to see digital get near. The problem comes from the fact that making a magazine is pretty expensive. Especially one like VC/CA. The paper is high quality, the images are high quality, and the subject matter is pretty narrow. At least compared to Newsweek or Wired. So you need to really work for every dollar and need to hustle, hustle, hustle. This puts the editor in a tough place. If the money is in digital, they have to do digital.

Add to that the web with MUCH lower costs, and you have a situation where magaiznes will not always be able to reflect what the readers are doing. It may come down to the web being able to adapt to and answer the needs of analog shooters much better than the traditional dead-trees publications.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    so I am in denial again.

Aggie,
    Are you from Egypt? You know "Queen of de Nile".

sorry could not resist.

By the by, how do you go about joining the post card club?

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The sub-title of CameraArts is The Art and Craft of Photography in the 21st Century. This includes digital as well as film. We have had a film how-to article in every issue and will continue to do so.

However, if you have noticed Ilford, Bergger and Kodak are not promoting their black and white films. If this bothers you contact htem and let them know that you still care about film.

steve simmons

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons

However, if you have noticed Ilford, Bergger and Kodak are not promoting their black and white films. If this bothers you contact htem and let them know that you still care about film.

steve simmons
    The problem I have had is getting to someone at these Mega companies who really gives a ---m. All I ever get as a reply is another "site" reference or advertisements.

Truly, dr bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin