Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,449   Posts: 1,570,080   Online: 842

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Searching for True North

Searching for True North
    Photographs by Geir Jordahl.

Published today. @ this coming PHOTO LA.
    http://www.searchingfortruenorth.com/

Widlux HS IR shots.

dw

www.dr5.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Geir is the most accomplished user of Infra-red film I have seen. Far beyond the "Look how weird everything looks!" stage. He uses the IR quality of the film to give voice to his work.

By this I mean he uses IR the same way the rare color photographer uses color...he uses it compositionally and emotionally -- not just as a found object.

Geir also uses the panoramic format the same way.

The earlier images are taken with a Widelux, with the later images with an Hassey X-Pan camera. He makes large silver gelatin prints.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Beautiful work indeed.... full of emotion and dramatic tone. It's nice to see IR work that doesn't rest on the effect alone. I confess I don't understand the title, so I guess I'll just have to buy it and see! I wonder, can one get a signed copy...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    ...snip...I confess I don't understand the title, so I guess I'll just have to buy it and see! I wonder, can one get a signed copy...
    I don't know the exact meaning behind the title, but I like the idea of it meaning that anyone can find the direction to the usual "North" (magnetic north)...that is where the compass points. But it takes more effort and originality to find "True" North (the North Pole).

Vaughn

PS... am not positive, but the books may come signed...I got word that Geir had received the books and was signing them. But I do not know if this referred to just the Special Editions (Clamshell case with two prints) or if that included the regular edition as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..i believe the special print editions [1000] will be signed and come with a few prints. I think you will have to be at a show or book signing to get a regular book signed. I cant imagine Geir saying no to any signing of his book, even if you had to send it to him.

regards

dw

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I don't know the exact meaning behind the title, but I like the idea of it meaning that anyone can find the direction to the usual "North" (magnetic north)...that is where the compass points. But it takes more effort and originality to find "True" North (the North Pole).

Vaughn

PS... am not positive, but the books may come signed...I got word that Geir had received the books and was signing them. But I do not know if this referred to just the Special Editions (Clamshell case with two prints) or if that included the regular edition as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    ..i believe the special print editions [1000] will be signed and come with a few prints. I think you will have to be at a show or book signing to get a regular book signed. I cant imagine Geir saying no to any signing of his book, even if you had to send it to him.

regards

dw
    Small correction...there will be 100 of the special edition w/ two prints, and 1000 of the regular edition. And I agree -- Geir probably sign any of his books sent to him.

Vaughn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I received my regular edition copy of Searching for True North today -- I had pre-ordered it.

It arrived signed. It also is all I had hoped it would be. I have not had time to go page-by-page yet...that will have to wait until tonight!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just received my copy, it is gorgeous. Needless to say, the compositions are wonderful- really the epitome of landscape infrared. And the print quality of the volume is just beautiful; the unique tonality of the work is delivered without compromise. The volume is larger than I expected, it is a very satisfying size.

I am especially astounded by the cover, which is quite unique. Oh and it's very nice to have the Norwegian and English texts side by side.

I recommend this very highly. It's inspiring.

P.S. Thanks very much to Geir Jordahl for signing it!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin