Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,721   Online: 970

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New B&W 'Zine...? & Updates..

Following an interesting debate on B&W magazine, I wondered how many of you would be interested in the following idea...

Just for the record I used to buy B&W, but stopped when too many digital articles started to appear. Now I do shoot both digital and film - generally digital stuff for my 'commercial' side, and film for my personal work. And yes, I work with both Photoshop and wet process.

But, I'm really interested to read about the analogue side of things (especially as most photo-mags appear to be very equipment based rather than image based, if you see what I mean).

So, how's this for an idea...

I'm not in a position to put together a magazine that you can sit on the train and read, but I am willing to setup an 'e-zine' (don't you just hate this jargon!) with articles written by YOU (and me too occasionally!). I would only stick with analogue and here's what I would like to get if you are up for this...

1) equipment reviews - whether it's a Leica M7 or a Kodak Medalist, Gandolfi or Voightlander.
    2) processing - whether traditional silver halide or alternative processes
    3) film - I'd be interested to know about how processing chemicals affect the development of film, types of film and how they relate to older / newer lenses.
    4) techniques - using the zone system, panning, macro, etc...
    5) gallery - showcase of images for 1 person per month / week / year depending on interest levels

I'd already started 'A Simple Guide To Improving Your Photography' at http://davidvickersphotography.blogspot.com, but if you people are up for this then I'm happy to create something specific to the world of B&W.

You can reply here, PM me or email me at davidvickersphotography at yahoo.co.uk

David Miller has already mentioned that he prefers the printed page (and so do I to be truthful), but there may be a way around this...

If we can get a series of articles together, then I could essentially bundle these up and create a magazine (based on those articles) via lulu.com.

Please, please, let me know what your thoughts are - if there's enough interest then we can make a start!

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like the Lulu idea - I also far prefer the printed page. The only downside of Lulu is they cost a fortune and take an age for those of us in the UK .

I'd also say... Why B&W? Traditional yes; but there are some of us who work in colour in the traditional way as well!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, you are right of course! Where will it end? Some will say "...but I use the wet process then scan it in, therefore I'd like to know about scanners." Then it's "...when I've scanned it in, my images appear to have scratches on, how can I get rid of these in Elements / Photoshop / GIMP / etc.."!

Anyway - I think you could be right on this one - perhaps making it 'traditional' photography would be better and a little more inclusive to all. I only mentioned B&W because that I what I personally am interested in.

Thanks for the comments.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I am very interested in reading the content and would also be happy to contribute in my areas: 7x17, 8x10, Jobo, silver prints. For the aging ludite, would you explain delivery of an e-zine? I unfortunately still have dial up connection so downloading would be a problem. We have no trains about other than freight and I do not have a notebook or an electronic book. They have, however, taught me to read a few years back.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John, thanks for the offer to contribute. Here's how I see this happening so we can please the 'electronic' people and the 'paper' people...

The electronic version would be 'published' via a website (as mentioned earlier, I already do this sort of thing at http://davidvickersphotography.blogspot.com ) and this means that anyone can read it who has access to a 'puter. For those who would be interested in a paper copy, I could collate all the articles that appeared over a pre-determined period of time (maybe 3 months?) and print and publish via someone like lulu.com - this has the advantage that a paper copy is produced and can be delivered world-wide (albeit at a cost of course). The great thing is that if we can get enough interest, producing a paper copy via Lulu.com becomes worthwhile - it's not about making money but delivering the information at a reasonable price to all those around the world who'd like a paper version.

Realistically, costs for a paper version are going to work out more than just buying a magazine at the local store - but at least it will meet the needs of this very special niche market. And it's essentially created by YOUR contributions, therefore the community can feel as if it has ownership.

Thanks,
    David.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would love to see a print magazine pick up the torch dropped by Emulsion. I hope that there won't be much color in it and that the emphasis will be on the black and white darkroom and on the images themselves. As for ezines, I just don't read them, but I would certainly give this ezine a try if that is the only feasible format.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would be happy to be a contributor as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I would be happy to be a contributor as well.
    What particular areas would you be able to contribute in?

----------------------
    I realise that the electronic format is not really what people want, but it would be a start and if 'backed-up' by a printed copy once a quarter (to start with) that would keep everyone happy wouldn't it?!

Following an earlier post, I think that we should have some colour in it - but I realise that most of the people here are like myself, and prefer B&W. But for this to work we would need to get as many people involved as we could in order to cover all the bases. One thing is for sure - NO DIGITAL! Well, with the exception of uploading articles / pictures for inclusion in to the 'zine!

From the posts and PM's so far, it seems that there is the interest out there - but please keep posting your ideas / thoughts. I'll try and get something put together and I've got a few people offering to contribute already so it may be that we could put something together over the next couple of months and trial it out on the 'net.

Thank you for all your comments and offers.
    David.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm - let's see. Well, I'm a very well-versed platinum/palladium printer - I can write about a diverse variety of subjects relating to alternative processes from paper choice to coating to exposure and processing, developing film to suit the process, building your own UV exposure unit, rehabbing antique contact printing frames, and so on. I'm also quite well known on APUG here for photographing the nude, particularly the male nude. If you've got the guts to publish it, I'd be happy to write about working with the nude figure, both in the studio and in the landscape, and the distinctions between photographing the male and the female nude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, i don't mind publishing it - just so long as it's legal. If we are going to do this properly, I think it needs to be about the image more than the camera as it were - I'm interested, and therefore I assume most of us are interested(!?) in the thought that goes in to making an image, whether it's a male nude, an old church or a polystyrene cup.

Thank you for you offer - it's beginning to look like we might be able to get something started; small to start with whilst we find our feet and then go from there!

Thank you.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin