Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 772

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Soeren I understand you being pissed off mate and management saying they do not controll distrobution is no help to you.
    However I percive a change in attitude at the mag of late as Anolouge photography has been given specific mention in editorials of late and I percive less hostility and more understanding of us film users despite that damn digi listing. My point being that there is maybe something management can do for you photographers in Denmark even if it is only to take an add in a national paper or local photo mag to anounce their existance and how to subscribe.

I belive the views expressed here on APUG changed the attitude of management and they have listened, so if you can come up with some suggestions as to what paper/mag would reach the greatest target audience maybe we can persuade David to run some adds. Also if you subscribe yourself once you have read the mag pass it on so that eventualy it ends up in a dentists or doctors waiting room where who knows it may start a newbi on the road of B&W .
    Wishing you all success, regards Paul.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Ok I can easily subscribe to the mag if I decide to but not all danes can. I know several who either don't have a computer or can't pay online.
    It's as easy as ringing up the publisher and telling him your credit card number.
    I guess it comes down to the fact, if one wants to read this mag or not. Subscribing is also significantly cheaper than buying each copy seperately.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    It's as easy as ringing up the publisher and telling him your credit card number.
    I guess it comes down to the fact, if one wants to read this mag or not. Subscribing is also significantly cheaper than buying each copy seperately.
    Yep but you still need a credit card valid in UK ruling out most danish cards except Visadk.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Søren, have you thought that perhaps the distributor in Denmark is also at fault, if they were prepared to take a reasonable number on the basis of no returns, paying for the full number then things might be different. Usually magazines are sold on a returns basis, unsold magazines are returned by shops to the distributor.
    Not really but maybe you are right. I just refer to what the newsstand owner told me.
    Ofcource the decission is based( I hope) on economics and ofcource its not a dissaster. Denmark is after all a small country with only 5mill inhabitants

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Another option which happens with some magazines is private import and sales through photographic galleries, this happens in the UK with some US, Japanese etc photographic magazines.

Ian
    Ill see if one of the big photostores still carry the mag. Or maybe that will turn out to be more expensive so Id better subscripe
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just been informed that the mag will no longer be available in Australia. The last copy I was able to get was issue 77 October 2007. It seems Oz is now too small a market for the mighty B+W.
    Last edited by Paul.A; 01-07-2008 at 05:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling mistake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.A View Post
    I've just been informed that the mag will no longer be available in Australia. The last copy I was able to get was issue 77 October 2007. It seems Oz is now too small a market for the mighty B+W.
    that really sucks doesn't it.
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well on the 29th of June 2007 at or near midnight, Australia had a population of 21 million people.

I think the explanations of too small a market may be incorrect and just an excuse. It is possible that their expansion was either too fast, or they are just too big to make money with their current structure.

Another aspect is that it is very expensive, especially with Sterling as the base currency. I wonder with the drop in the US dollar, and, as a result, sales could drop below the critical mass required for all and sundry to make money, they may then drop the USA market, due to it being too small!

Mick.
    Last edited by Mick Fagan; 01-08-2008 at 02:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    I guess it comes down to the fact, if one wants to read this mag or not...
    Disagree.

I don't use credit card (yes, these kind of people stil exists ), and I had such problems to subscribe to different magazines that at the end I gave up. Simply, no way to subscribe if you don't use credit card. Period.

Not to mention web sites where I must click on my country, if I don't click on my country, I can't continue subscribing or buying process. And in most cases my country (Bosnia and Herzegovina) is not listed on web site...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yup subscription is a no no for me as I don't have a credit card. I'll try and get a relative to send it over.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Well on the 29th of June 2007 at or near midnight, Australia had a population of 21 million people.

I think the explanations of too small a market may be incorrect and just an excuse. It is possible that their expansion was either too fast, or they are just too big to make money with their current structure.

Another aspect is that it is very expensive, especially with Sterling as the base currency. I wonder with the drop in the US dollar, and, as a result, sales could drop below the critical mass required for all and sundry to make money, they may then drop the USA market, due to it being too small!

Mick.
    You are assuming that it's the publisher who has decided that the market is too small - maybe it's the Australian distributors who've come to that conclusion?
    there's nothing stopping one from taking out a subscription though, is there?
    Last edited by markbb; 01-09-2008 at 03:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: depersonalised.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin