Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,501   Online: 1000

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.A View Post
    I've just been informed that the mag will no longer be available in Australia. The last copy I was able to get was issue 77 October 2007. It seems Oz is now too small a market for the mighty B+W.
    It seems to still be available through magazine shops in New Zealand. I thought we had a smaller population than most places, and are definitely farther away....

Still, I now get mine through direct subscription, which is heaps better, as I get it a week or two after it comes out in the UK, rather than 2 or 3 months later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is really interesting to me - I'm trying to start up a new magazine (initially an online mag - but then offering a paper based version once a quarter). For the paper-based version, I was looking to distribute via lulu.com - once the magazine is available, you could log on to the [lulu] site, request a copy, which will then be printed and dispatched to you. Now I've never done anything like this before, but (to me at least) it gets around several issues about using distributors - if one person in a far-flung country wants a copy (and has internet access) then potentially you can have a copy.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, I don't assume it's the Australian distributor, nor the Danish distributor, I didn't think I implied that at all.

It would appear that the marketing of the periodical is not viable under it's present distribution system, therefore either the distributor in each country, or the owners of the masthead, have pulled it in those countries, that is all.

Things change, distribution can be quite political, as well as actually making money from sales.

I was in the graphic arts game in Melbourne for 15 years, I saw many a fine publication literally wind up within a matter of weeks because ownership of the distribution system they were a part of, changed hands. Alternatively a major advertiser drops out and things change rather quickly.

Printing costs can rise substantially, sometimes vastly quicker than average inflation, the currency it is manufactured under has a slow progressive rise against other currencies, it can then become too expensive for the average punter to afford in a matter months. I have seen this happen, it's life.

Demographics of the market that the owners are targeting can also change in a reasonably quick time. Currently LF photography is undergoing a renaissance, I am part of that.

In about 15 years time I think there is a fair chance that LF will undergo a drop, people like myself and my peers will start to drop off the face of the planet. That is the time I think LF photography will show it's true numbers, hopefully I'm wrong, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting what David (Vickersdc) has just written. Viewcamera magazine does just that, a paper version and an electronic downloadable version are available, www.viewcamera.com

Perhaps all magazines will go this way some day?

Shooter
    35mm
    The population of Ireland is even smaller that Denmark, so I wonder if it's in the shops here, I haven't checked yet. That said, the main distributors of magazines in Ireland (Easons) are generally very good at keeping things on our shelves. I would hate to have to decide whether or not to subscribe. I much prefer being able to go to the shop take a quick look and decide if there is anything of interest in the magazine before I buy it. If I subscribe I could end up with issues that are of no interest to me.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Trevor,

From my point of view, it makes sense to offer electronic and paper versions. I know that distributing through someone like lulu.com will cost more, but for small magazine runs I just can't see the economics working in my favour to actually produce x-thousand copies then get them distributed worldwide and hope they sell.

Distribution via lulu will mean that I can create the magazine and only enough are printed to meet demand. If 3 people want a copy then that's how many are printed; 3,000 people? The same. Just-in-time printing has some real advantages for us little 'enterprises'.

Besides, there's no way I could afford worldwide distribution! There are also no issues with no returns - or keeping back issues. All issues are available as and when you want.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

May I wish you well with your enterprise, 'mighty oaks from little acorns grow'.

Change is difficult for me; I've always loved books, and will always do so, so an electronic version is somewhat repulsive to me, that's my hang-up not a criticism of those engageing the new technology. Just as I can't fully embrace digital photography. The day film and silver paper's are no longer available, is the day my photography ends. Some of my friends would probably say......good!

Best wishes,

Trevor.
    Last edited by Trevor Crone; 01-09-2008 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing "the" and spelling!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Change is difficult for me; I've always loved books, and will always do so, so an electronic version is somewhat repulsive to me, that's my hang-up not a criticism of those engageing the new technology.
    Trevor.
    Hi Trevor - that's exactly why the use of someone like lulu is such a great idea. It gives you the option of having a printed copy, rather than an electronic copy. Several people have said that they would prefer a paper copy, and I know myself that I too prefer to sit down with a cup of tea, in my favourite chair, clutching a hard copy of something to read. It's just not the same trying to balance a laptop on my lap!

Thanks for the good wishes.
    David.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dferrie View Post
    The population of Ireland is even smaller that Denmark, so I wonder if it's in the shops here, I haven't checked yet. That said, the main distributors of magazines in Ireland (Easons) are generally very good at keeping things on our shelves. I would hate to have to decide whether or not to subscribe. I much prefer being able to go to the shop take a quick look and decide if there is anything of interest in the magazine before I buy it. If I subscribe I could end up with issues that are of no interest to me.

David
    I haven't yet got the January issue, but had no problems getting up as far as December.. I get my copy in Easons also, and they really are great at keeping a myriad of publications, so hopefully there's demand enough to keep B&W coming across the pond.

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin