Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,801   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Today I looked through a $500 book...

Today I looked through a large limited edition $500 photography book with a signed original inkjet print by the photographer (who's name I can't recall right now), loosely placed in the inside the front cover. First I was surprised a book would cost $500 - but I got excited when the bookkeeper told me there was an original, signed B&W print in it. When I opened the book I discovered the (although lovely) B&W print was an inkjet print (with the possibility of possibility of hitting the reprint button many times over), sold in such an expensive book. The book did show beautiful work.

Would you pay that much for a book?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nicole,
    depends on the photographer!
    Last edited by mono; 02-08-2008 at 03:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's signed, it's a limited edition book — they can ask whatever the market is willing to pay. Personally, I would not be interested in it because of the inkjet print, but that's only my personal opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one LE from Josef Hoflehner and was disappointed, too, because it also contained an inkjet print.

I have two more LE from him with original, signed silver gelatine prints and am satisfied now ;-)
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the print was an original as in hand printed in any form except by an automatic printer, then I'd consider it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have spent what is probably a frightening amount on photo books, mostly secondhand or remaindered - the most I spent on an individual book was IIRC US$350 for a copy of "Mirrors Messages Manifestations" by Minor White - worth every cent. At the time, this was one of a very few new copies left. Aperture were offering the same book but with an 8x10" bromide by Minor White included for around U$800 - I did not consider this excessive but decided against buying it, thinking I would rather have 5 $100 books than one print. My biggest regret - buying only one copy of David Bailey's "Goodbye Baby and Amen" when I saw them remaindered for £3.50 - now selling for 20 times that, or indeed anything up to $500!

PS: Another one I didn't buy - Helmut Newton's "Sumo", yours for only just over $18,000 - see here:
    http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showite...sbn=3822863947
    I wonder how many have been sold?
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 02-08-2008 at 04:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding PS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Would you pay that much for a book?
    Not an ice cube's chance in hell!
    Last edited by fschifano; 02-08-2008 at 08:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not pay this much for a book especially these days with Internet shopping and used books at our finger tips. My daughter purchased a Robert Mapplethorpe book for me for Christmas for $15 in a used book store. It’s a $60 book in perfect condition and out of print. With regard to the Inkjet print, if it’s a strong image that evokes some emotion or feeling I don’t really care how it’s printed. BTW I have a huge photography book collection.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the book inspired me enough I'd pay any reasonable price, $500 seems to me to be good value. I learned the lesson 20 years ago when I wanted Harry Callahan's "Cape Cod" and located a copy for $1500 but refused on the grounds that it was too expensive. I've regretted that decision many times since then.

I think $500 for a book with an original print is not expensive even though the print is inkjet. Theses days I've seen inkjet prints made with pigment inks on high quality paper sell for up to £500.

My own book collection currently valued at about £20,000 is a constant source of inspiration and information to me so I think it's money well spent.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Photo book prices seem to be sky rocketing no matter who the book is by or whether or not there is a print included. Have a look at photoeye.com and their book list magazine. The current issue shows some very limited editions that reach as high as $50,000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin