Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,094   Online: 732

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do we have any curators and/or gallery owners here?

Do we have any curators and/or gallery owners here on APUG?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole - what kind of questions are you looking to get answers to?

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't Bob Carnie have a gallery at Elevator?

You should ask away as gene suggests, many of us have experience of curating exhibitions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a challenge: You have an exhibition to hang, 28 prints and no walls. Yep, no walls. The prints are going down two ailes and must be back to back - and light weight. The available hanging space is 10 meters long and only 10cm wide for the prints to stand back-to-back and upright in. How would you present the images? I hopes this makes sense.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe try companies that make displays for trade shows and conferences...they might have free standing, temporary display panels. Some places might even rent them out?

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Done that Nicole at a Birmingham (UK) gallery, most framing suppliers (wholesalers not retail) have a system for hanging from wires, most estate agents in the UK use the same systems in their windows.

The system is strong enough to hang 3 prints, 20x16 in frames with glass per pair of wires, at the Birmingham show the photographer hung sets back to back. Someone did post a link to the suppliers on APUG last years. Unfortunately my catalogue is in the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To give you an idea Nicole, I've done a quick search here and BobF posted a link a link this site a few months ago.

Looking at their new sister site, it appears they really do know the in's and outs of displaying art, see here. Just look at their client list . . . .

Hope that helps

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-08-2008 at 02:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add their 2nd website

DKT

nicole--the museum I work for uses a lot of this modular wall type product called Mila Wall, which is probably not the right thing for this space...but you can build walls straight or in any shape really:

http://www.mba-worldwide.com/museen/...ndmodule1.html

our shop has made some traveling exhibits for libraries and other places without walls. one of the most durable designs was something we called a "tombstone" which was a freestanding panel that sat in a wide base. the base was sloped like a small pyramid--wider at the bottom, with a slot that this panel sat down into. It was bolted in there at the bottom. The panels were made out of hardwood actually, and faced with laminates--had a clean design--and they had inset plex on the front of either side to protect the images. The images/graphics were mounted to Sintra and then slid into a slot on each side from the bottom. So each tombstone was a freestanding unit. They were heavy though, but then again, you couldn't easily knock one over or vandalize the pictures either. They could be set up out in a busy area and left alone more or less. if this idea sounds feasible--you might be able to make the panel out of MDF or Sintra, and skip the whole integral part of the design. it would be lighter for sure, and you could hang prints on both sides. we also have some folding walls, but they always need to supported somehow, and the fabric trade-show type one we have is just flimsy really, and not as clean a presentation. fwiw--exhibit builder magazine would be the place to look for vendors & product ideas.

DKT

btw---if the area is really narrow as you describe...you could just make the panel I described out of sintra itself--use half inch or 3/4, and flush mount the images right to that. skip matt's & frames, although I understand if you want that--but we did an exhibit like that, albeit in a larger area. we used one inch or so thick acrylic panels and face mounted cibachromes and b/w prints to the back of the acrylic, used silkscreen for the text on the back, so you viewed it from the other side and it was all very clean. these were big--the primary & secondary signage for an exhibit that was in a huge gallery (13,000 sf) with no walls except the outside ones. the panels sat out in the open, lit by spots--the images looked like they were floating. we used black sintra on another exhibit, but created oversized photo "albums" with the pages being made out of Sintra- mounted both sides on these. sintra is pretty durable stuff, but again--not "lightweight" nor cheap....but my point is, I guess, if you can move beyond the material as a substrate and look at it as part of the design, you might be able to fit something into that space...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think I would try, but here's what I've seen.

Two thin acrylic panels with images sandwiched in between.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin