Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 677

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Drying Cabinet?

Hi Erik,

The idea sounds like an interesting engineering exercise, but is it honestly worth the effort? The traditional drying cabinet does it's job pretty well (as would Les's coat hangers) and I'd guess that there may still be second hand units available for ridiculously low prices (even in Sweden).

By all means put a, very low power, heater into an old (clean) wardrobe or even into a metal office cupboard and, if your films are clean they'll be dry and ready to print in about 30 mins. If you dry them any faster you're liable to damage the emulsion with heat.

As I read your entry again. Are you suffering from water marks on your films? If so, try giving them a final rinse in distilled water with a small amount of photo-flow. Since I started doing this in Brighton, which has very hard water, I've never suffered from water stains.

Regards
    Jerry Lebens

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Reviews of film cameras that are not necessary new to the market but are still being manufactured and sold.
    Such as the still produced 35mm, medium format such as Rollei and Fuji and all those LF cameras.
    It would be great for all those who want to try a film camera for the first time, try another format or
    add another tool to their photography.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to see something on Josef Koudelka, one of my absolute heros

jim
    "Well, my name's Jim. But, most people call me . . . Jim"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Reviews of film cameras that are not necessary new to the market but are still being manufactured and sold.
    Such as the still produced 35mm, medium format such as Rollei and Fuji and all those LF cameras.
    It would be great for all those who want to try a film camera for the first time, try another format or
    add another tool to their photography.
    I second that! there's loads of film cameras still being produced out there. How about something on the very affordable 35mm K-mount cameras? or the Seagull TLR's
    "Well, my name's Jim. But, most people call me . . . Jim"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This has probably already been done but a how to on mounting or framing the precious pictures, be they digitally or wet printed

Great idea Fintan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the idea of introducing digital readers to film specific photography and some of its advantages, particularly in LF would be great. I doubt many film users and specifically digital users understand the differences, and reviews of that format, but also maybe others in the form of MF cameras etc, would allow them to get introduced to some of the attractive features....and who knows, maybe even generate more film fans...and keep it alive even longer ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Ehrling View Post
    It was actually that article that made me start thinking further. Maybe my idea is overly complicated, but I'm considering building something like a small size warderobe. You hang in the film strips vertically, after that you close the door and tilt it 45 degrees to avoid water running along the whole length of the film. (If it's a stable enough construction you could possibly add an air filtration system as well...)

Another article I'd like to read:
    - Reportage from visits to film factories over the world

Regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)
    I built my own negative dryer many years ago at a total cost of less than £30I'll have a word with David Corfield to see if he would publish a small feature on how I did it.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
    I built my own negative dryer many years ago at a total cost of less than £30I'll have a word with David Corfield to see if he would publish a small feature on how I did it.
    I'd love to read that. I do hope it gets approved.

BTW - I posted a scetch illustrating my idea for a homemade film dryer here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...tml#post597666 (as it would be slightly off topic to continue that discussion in this thread.).

Regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)
    Last edited by Erik Ehrling; 03-06-2008 at 03:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another topic I would like to see:
    - How to start in Large Format: What equipment is required? How does it work (lens boards, loading film, developing etc. etc)? Where to buy one - and how much does it cost (maybe alternatives at different cost levels, used/new etc.)?

Also, in the last issue of Silvershotz there was an article on Digital-to-Film transfer. In general I think that coverage on hybrid techniques actually gains 100% analogue photography users as well, as more people will be using film, photographic paper, darkroom equipment etc.

Regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A feature on Brian Kosoff known here as Early Riser. His pictures are inspirational kosoff.com/. Concur with others for seeing work of Emil (Gandolfi) and Josef Koudelka.

I'd prefer the tone of current articles to lose the 'do this'.... I'd like to think that the readership are a step or two (with many several steps) above this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin