Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,418   Online: 1025

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Deacades ago Peter Drucker, THE marketing guru wrote a seminal article 'Myopia in Marketing'.

Not going through it (I don't even remember it all) the central question is:
    What's your REAL business?

If your real business is information regarding analog photography, then focus on it - and pick the best way to reach your audience.

Could it be that printed paper is not the best (or more convenient) anymore for this audience?

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The internet is superior in getting information out and sharing it between people. I look back at the tech section of Camera and Darkroom or Photo Techniques and am amazed at how stone age it seems to have 5or 6 questions asked by readers and discussed in each issue. You will find a years worth of questions with much more indepth discussion every day on this site alone. And the answers come in minutes sometimes.

You don't need to wait months to find out about products, gallery openings, and industry news.

But a good quality magazine presents far superior images compared to a monitor, and provides a semi-permanent archive of such images. The magazines also seem to have more current interviews and features on artists written by good writers. Lenswork and Photovision good examples of excellent essays and features on artists.

Of course there are examples of sites that provide great technical articles such as unblinkingeye.com and essays such as on the site run by AD Coleman, although it is subscription only.

I think you will see a shakeout of photo magazines over time with 90% of the editorial content about digital imaging. There will always be the "Traditional Methods Corner" or monthly articles about how to use that 1990s vintage Nikon your kids found in your attic. But the minimizing of traditional will provide the demand for someone to start a magazine dedicated to a new traditional niche market, similar to what Steve Simmons accomplished when he started View CAmera back in the 80s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for an apug magazine, I like holding a magazine in my hands and being able to look at the works not on a monitor. It wouldn't have to be done monthly, it could start out quarterly. I know of lots of magazines that have started out as smaller quarterly publications and grown. We are growing and would have more of a community to make analog suppliers sit up and take notice.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Aggie

Print whatever you want from the digital media!

Don't forget posting costs (international above all)!

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hell I have access to a real break down of what printing costs, and mailing costs are..hubby works for a company that had an upscale magazine. It went under when they flounders and could not find a good niche. They wanted to be the New Yorker for the gourmet crowd. It all comes down to demograpahics and who your base market is. You can start small and grow. But then this is just an idea. It would be up to the powers who be here if anything like that ever came about, not me.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "But then this is just an idea. It would be up to the powers who be here if anything like that ever came about, not me."

I think it's a cool idea and if anyone wants to run with it they are more than welcome. I'm in no position to contribute much to the idea at this stage. My full time job is really kicking my butt at the moment so I'm in a slight rut with finding time for things. I'm glad you guys are a patient bunch!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    "But then this is just an idea. It would be up to the powers who be here if anything like that ever came about, not me."

I think it's a cool idea and if anyone wants to run with it they are more than welcome. I'm in no position to contribute much to the idea at this stage. My full time job is really kicking my butt at the moment so I'm in a slight rut with finding time for things. I'm glad you guys are a patient bunch!
    You know how it works here Aggie, someone has a good idea they get volunteered to run with it! So if you feel like being a magazine editor and publisher go for it. I for one will be glad to help you in anything I can.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie,
    I think that you came up with a great idea. Let me know how I can help. What are your thoughts on the matter? are you going to make contact with a group of writers that will be the mainstay of your publication? Are you going to make contact and arrange for a printer on the west coast? How are you going to have distribution handled? Sounds like a worthy project for you. Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    FWIW, I emailed Deana at the magazine with whom I have been in contact with about not receiving my magazines and I pointedly asked if she could/would respond to the Steve resigning issues. Maybe she will write and maybe she won't.

lee\c
    This is a copy of Deana's reply.

<<<Yes Lee, the rumors are true.>>>

<<<Thank you for your support,>>>

<<<Deana>>>

lee/c

Dear APUG Members,

I apologize for taking so long to respond to this dialog. I have just returned from San Francisco where I went on a personal photo assignment which I believe was extremely succesful. I won't know for certain until the film is developed!

I did indeed resign as editor of Photovision due to differences between myself and the publisher as to the future direction of the magazine. I do not wish to say more than that.

I believe Aggie's idea for an APUG Quarterly in print is a good one. I'm encouraged by Les' support of the idea. As Aggie pointed out, I am available. If anyone wants to move forward on this idea I would be glad to contribute articles and/or edit.

For the immediate future, I am excited about the SF photo project I mentioned above. It was photographed using Agfa Optima Color Negative Film with a Leica M7 and one lens, 35mm f/1.4 -- 50 rolls in two days.

I have a b/w book proposal in on Cuba, and I am now able to start work on the 2nd Edition of The Film Developing Cookbook. Focal Press has been ragging on me for two years to update TFDCB but editing PV has taken everything out of me.

It's good to be free to work on my own projects again.
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin