Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,219   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
    If you have never picked up a copy it is a great magazine. It reminds me of the original Camera and Darkroom magazine in its scope and intelligence. If I could only get two magazines one would be Photovision and the other Lenswork.
    Two magazines, the demise of which I regret, are the American and the British Camera & Darkroom magazines.
    roy. (again !)

Jim & Roy both lament the demise of Camera & Darkroom magazine.

The first magazine I ever wrote for in 1989, was Camera & Darkroom.

I, too, lamented the demise of that magazine, so when I was asked to edit the new publication, Photovision, C&D was my model, which is probably why so many people see a similarity.
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve,

What's better for you, if I buy from a newsstand or via subscription?
    If it's the same, I'll get a subscription, I like getting things in the mail :-)

Dave

Images
    He is asking for subscriptions. If the magazine business is anything like the record business, the distributors and stores are taking a major chunk of the newstand price.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, it's my understanding that advertisers look primarily at subscriptions in deciding where to advertise and how much to pay for ads.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Russian scientist and a Czechoslovakian scientist had spent their whole lives studying the majestic grizzly bear. Each year they petitioned their respective governments to allow them to go to Yellowstone to study these wondrous beasts.

Finally, their request was granted and they immediately flew to New York and then on west to Yellowstone. They reported to the local ranger station and were told that it was the grizzly mating season and it was much too dangerous to go out and study the animals.

They pleaded that this was their only chance. Finally the ranger relented. The Russian and the Czech were given cell phones and told to report in each and every day.

For several days they called in, and then nothing was heard from the two scientists. The rangers mounted a search party and found the scientists' camp completely ravaged. No sign of the missing men.

They then followed the trail of a male and a female bear. They found the female and decided they must kill the animal to find out if she had eaten the scientists because they feared an international incident.

They killed the female and cut open the bear's stomach… only to find the remains of the Russian.

One ranger turned to the other and said, "You know what this means, don't you?"

"Of course," the other ranger nodded.

"The Czech is in the male."

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    groan...lol

lee\c

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I received my complementary copy this morning. Thanks Steve. All this including Howard Bond ! Just like old times. Give me a chance to have a flip through the mag. It looks as though another sub. may be in the offing.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There you go Steve one more subscription from TX.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yesterday I was in the New York subway and saw a copy of _American Photo_ at the newstand. Unusual that a photo mag is featured right out front at an ordinary newstand, so I looked more closely and read the tag line: "COLLECT ALL FOUR J-LO COVERS!"

I think there's the solution to _Photovision_'s subscription problems. You've got to admit, we live in a culture of celebrity. I can see the headlines now:

"UNCHARACTERISTIC CURVES: J-Lo on BPF 200 in Rollo Pyro!"

Or maybe you want to market to a more upscale, Merchant-Ivory kind of crowd:

"JOYCE TENNESON CAPTURES THE BROODING FACE OF HELENA BONHAM-CARTER"

And if all else fails, you might as well go for the centerfold:

"KIM WESTON REVISITS THE AZOTEA WITH SALMA HAYEK"
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin