Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,034   Online: 1104

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I subscribed for one year. I am not a big subscription person. I did not want a free mag. I have most of them because I buy at the news stand. I figured that someone else that was not aware of the mag might want to see it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lee,
    I did the same thing that you did. (subscribed in lieu of the free copy). I am sure that Steve thanks you for your subscription...and also all others that subscribed such as Aggie and others as well. It just seems that there are some folks out there that apparently felt the free copies were already gone or don't feel the same commitment to our chosen means of expression.

My earlier post was addressed to those who have not availed themselves of the free copy that Steve offered or failed to recognize the importance of supporting this fine publication. The reason that this is so important is that advertisers pay on the basis of subscriptions...numbers of subscriptions send a message to those who manufacture and sell the products that you and I use. The message that a good subscriber base sends is that we are a group of dedicated individuals that are a market segment worth recognizing. The reason that this publication is so well suited to deliver that message is that it is the only publication that deals only with film based photography. There can be no doubt to the advertisers that digital is not the source of the subscription base. If we fail to come together in support of this, with the digital market a fact, then our products may very well be ultimately discontinued. This is what Jorge stated so very well.

Additionally, my earlier offer still stands...if you subscribe and are one of the first twelve from this forum to do so and if for some reason you feel that your money is not well spent on this publication after three issues, let me know...I will refund your money. Just let the person that you speak with on the phone when you subscribe know that you are subscribing under the offer that Don Miller made on Apug on July 3, 2003. Now I am not a wealthy person, quite the contrary, I just feel very strongly about this matter and I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't anticipate having to take you up on the offer. I am fully aware of the quality of the magazine. I hope it survives as it is now.

lee/c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    by the by, I subcribed via the internet.

lee\c

Dear APUG members,

I thought you might like an update on the response to my offer for a free issue of Photovision.

As you know, the offer was first posted on June 6. As of today, July 10, 24 members have taken me up on the free issue, and around 20 members have subscribed (the exact number of subscribers is difficult to ascertain as not all APUG members may have indicated their affiliation).

The offer is still open.

Thank you to all who have rallied to the cause. As Jorge wrote, "“If Photovision disappears what is the message to manufacturers? Simply that there is not enough interest and that they are correct in thinking that digital is the correct choice for them.”
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    As an indication of what Steve and Jorge have indicated, I learned this morning that the marketing department of Kodak has decided to discontinue TriX in 8X10 format.

We, the traditional film based community, really need to come together, folks. There is no better place to do that then with a subscription to PhotoVision. The cost is approximately 7 cents a day. Think of it this way, that cup of coffee you buy is about 10 days to two weeks of your subscription cost.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Anchell
    Dear APUG members,

I thought you might like an update on the response to my offer for a free issue of Photovision.

As you know, the offer was first posted on June 6. As of today, July 10, 24 members have taken me up on the free issue, and around 20 members have subscribed (the exact number of subscribers is difficult to ascertain as not all APUG members may have indicated their affiliation).

The offer is still open.

Thank you to all who have rallied to the cause. As Jorge wrote, "“If Photovision disappears what is the message to manufacturers? Simply that there is not enough interest and that they are correct in thinking that digital is the correct choice for them.”
    Well, actually it was Don who so elocuently put it, but I second the sentiments 100%. Really we gripe, bitch and moan about digital taking over all facets of photography, if Photovision dissapears and we loose more and more of the materials we like, as it seems TriX is now gone in 8x10 well, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just read on that other site that Tri X is not discontinued, only that Kodak is changing catalog number on the 8x10 film, and that they have not been producing any new film on the new facility so they ran out. Wow...soem effective management there, uh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Seems there's plenty of Tri-X floating around meanwhile. I got a box of 8x10" at B&H some weeks ago, and just last week I was still able to get a 100-sheet box of 4x5" (discontinued several months ago--now 50-sheet boxes only), and they had several more on the shelf.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan on subscribing as soon as I've paid for my books for the fall semester.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin