Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,551   Online: 1052

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mabye this is a problem with something we could have changed. What about offers like this being kept in the active section,,,as in when you pull up the forums to read what has been posted since you last visited, it staying there until the moderators pull it. I find if it is not actively up there I do not respond. I seldom go looking for past posts. The new people do not see these posts, and many who come occasionaly miss them also.

So Sean can you fix this? could offers from people like that be kept current in the postings?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thought, what about doing an apug magazine? If this rumor is true, we would have access to an experienced magazine editor. We certainly have a depth of knowledge here. Our ranks are growing. Look at lenswork, they just announced they will no longer take advertising for their magazine. If we are truely passionate about keeping a purely analog publication alive, is it not time to take a step forward on something like this? show we really do more than just talk about it?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just took out a 1 year subscription, so I'll wait and see what changes they are going to make.
    Brian McDowell

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    After seeing the sample issue, I decided not to subscribe.

If I remember correctly, this was because it seemed to me that the magazine was concentrating on analogue ways of achieving PS results?

The articles on "traditional" darkroom work were OK, I guess, except that I wonder if I'll ever fell the need to use masks (sharp or unsharp) in printing?
    I only print my own negatives, and generally have some sort of idea about how to get them printable without resorting to multiple steps. If I ever needed extensive advanced masking I'd probably have the negative scanned and do it digitally...

I do subscribe to Ailsa's mag, though... Even if a person with the unlikely name of "Les McLean" writes about d*g*t*l in it!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glewis
    Just received an E-mail from Richard l. Gifford , on my Pure_Silver List, that he has spoken with Steve( via E-Mail). That the magazine has got the votes to go digital and that Steve has resigned over it. Still haven't heard a confirm from Steve personnally. Guess we didn't pony up enough afterall.
    I am sure they have the votes from the board, not necessarily the readers!
    Lets face it, if the magazine was not making money I am not surprised the publishers decided to join the herd and go digital. Then again I think they will have a hard time competing with Photo Techniques, Camera Arts, View Camera etc. All of which have digital incorporated, not to mention the all digital camera magazines.

Although sad, I think this trend will only benefit those of us who still do it the "old fashion way". In the end I think we will be rewarded for our efforts as more and more people fall in with the herd. I dont care what the digiheads say, there is nothing that compares to a contact print done in any printing method.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I do subscribe to Ailsa's mag, though... Even if a person with the unlikely name of "Les McLean" writes about d*g*t*l in it!
    Les writes about d*g*t*l??? Heretic, lets burn him at a stake!......:P

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ahh..before I forget, Sean you better get ready to take that PV sponsorship banner off the top....I doubt they will continue to sponsor us.....bummer....

I too am going for a "wait and see " attidude. I just hope it is a add digital in - instead of a replace analog with. I think they get a second chance to win me. Heck, I gave the LUGs three before I dropped them. }:^)>
    Grain- it's a three dimensional problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm been repetitive.
    But analog high quality photos - and B&W in particular, is a niche art/hobby today.
    Let's not fool ourselves.

I've proposed an electonic magazine - inexpensive for a worldwide audience, specially if you have just a few ad sponsors to pay for printing.

I belive this idea was not taken in consideration.

So...

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Judging from the comments re my writing about the dreaded d----- in Black and White Mag, I'm pleased that I live on an island, only kidding guys.

Three years ago I was writing in UK mags saying in my opinion digital prints would never match silver prints in my lifetime. I think now that I was wrong for the technology is improving fast and although digital is still not matching silver excellent prints can be made and we can do things digitally that cannot be done in a darkroom. At the present rate of progress I reckon that it will not be too long before digital catches up. I am currently making some excellent digital prints from negatives made on some candid photography workshops that I was leading in Brighton last week, it will be interesting to compare them with the silver prints when I make them.

I have no intention of ever giving up my beloved and smelly darkroom but I do know that I will continue to explore digital image making for I believe that it has much to offer and can run side by side with silver. No matter how strong we feel about silver we will never stop the growth of, there has been too much money invested.

I think Aggies idea of an APUG mag is worth exploring and I would certainly be prepared to support it in any way I can. We have many talented and knowledgable silver photographers in this Forum and APUG could make a valuable contribution to those interested in analog photography. I don't think that we could ever have a printed publication but we could put together an excellent mag on the net. How about it?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin