Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,027   Online: 709

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cara View Post
    I too was introduced to LensWork at Barnes and Nobel and am sad that more readers will not have the opportunity. I am a subscriber and find something useful in every article. I also use the articles, darkroom tours, and interviews from the extended CD in my high school photography classroom.

The announcement also stated that you could only pre-order single issues leading me to believe that back issue availability may no longer be an option. Again, very sad but I am still a happy subscriber.
    Printed back issues can be purchase if they are in stock. You can purchase all the issues of LensWork in CD format.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Cara,
    You will still be able to purchase back issues as long as we have them. We always order extra copies of each new issue specifically for this purpose and will continue to do so. Our only caveat is that when we do eventually sell out, we don't go back on press to produce more paper copies. The LensWork Extended version, however, we do produce more, so they will be available in perpetuity -- or until I go into the final wash.

The pre-order program (our "Virtual Newsstand") does have the advantage that we pay the shipping costs. Essentially, you can still purchase just one issue at a time and pay the cover price just as you would at the newsstand. We ship these with the subscriber copies and can take advantage of the lower cost "periodicals rate" for postage. Once they are back issues, however, we have to charge for shipping and handling the single issues, one at a time.

As to new subscribers, we have always relied on word of mouth advertising rather than big ad budgets. Most of our new subscribers come that way rather than the random discovery of LensWork on the newsstands. Along with the rest of the periodicals industry, we've seen a steady decline in the importance of newsstand sales ever since the birth of the Internet. It's just time for us to let go of an old business paradigm that is no longer working and at the same time reduce the waste of resources I mentioned in the announcement in the current issue.

We are hopeful that those people who were still buying on the newsstand will come on board as subscribers, but we do understand that for some folks this is just not an option they will choose. Hopefully they'll keep us in mind at some point down the road. We'll still be here!

Brooks Jensen
    Editor, LensWork Publishing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As MartinB reiterated, and Brooks stated in the current issue (#75) you may pre-order a single issue. That said, I'd go for a subscription because IMO the magazine pretty much always presents interesting and/or thought provoking work and it just a joy to read. If you spring for the Extended CD version you'll have even more of a good thing!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As a random buyer of the magazine I too will miss seeing it at the local book dealer. I understand Brooks and company's plan (Both ecological and economical) and wonder how many other magazines will follow suit. Will we soon only see Popular Photography and Shutterbug be the only journals in the newstand! I hope not! How else will one find treasures like Lenswork. Word of mouth only goes so far and seeing is always believing to me.
    Brooks, I get your email ads on a fairly regular basis. Does this mean I will get more when a new issue of Lenswork comes out?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brooks, is there any consideration of selling through indie booksellers if you can sell direct, and not through an I.D.?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That article a year or so back about how to be creative by the guy who does the cartoons on business cards? Worth the price of my subscription just by itself.

Good lord. I must be getting old. I just basically said, "I only read it for the articles."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    Does this mean I will get more when a new issue of Lenswork comes out?
    We do have an email opt-in program for folks who want to received email notices. Feel free to sign up. Please note, however, that this is the only way to get email notifications from us. We detest -- with a passion -- junk mail so you have to opt-in or just keep checking the website.
    Brooks Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Brooks, is there any consideration of selling through indie booksellers if you can sell direct, and not through an I.D.?
    Yes, we'd love to. LensWork will still be available in camera stores and other photography-related outlets who buy directly from us. These folks buy only what they can sell, so they don't create the overprint waste problem that is inherent in the magazine distribution paradigm.

The hurdle we've frequently seen when approaching the independent bookstores is that most of them buy only through book distributors like Baker & Taylor. I can understand their reasoning -- too much of a hassle to purchase directly from a gazillion independent publishers. That said, however, we wouldn't turn them down.

Look soon for a new page on our website that will list all the individual photography stores who carry LensWork directly from us.

Brooks Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    That article a year or so back about how to be creative by the guy who does the cartoons on business cards? Worth the price of my subscription just by itself.
    Hugh MacLeod at www.gapingvoid.com. An every-day stop for me in my web surfing rounds. Love his stuff. Wouldn't you love to be the fly on the wall observing he and Bill Jay in a conversation? -- Over adult drinks, of course.

Similarly, the other guy I just love is WhattheDuck.net -- simply hilarious and a good remedy to the seriousness we see at every turn.

Brooks Jensen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lenswork View Post
    Yes, we'd love to. LensWork will still be available in camera stores and other photography-related outlets who buy directly from us. These folks buy only what they can sell, so they don't create the overprint waste problem that is inherent in the magazine distribution paradigm.

The hurdle we've frequently seen when approaching the independent bookstores is that most of them buy only through book distributors like Baker & Taylor. I can understand their reasoning -- too much of a hassle to purchase directly from a gazillion independent publishers. That said, however, we wouldn't turn them down.

Look soon for a new page on our website that will list all the individual photography stores who carry LensWork directly from us.

Brooks Jensen
    Interesting insight into the industry... I've noticed a few independent booksellers near me who don't have a magazine racks any more at all. Maybe they didn't like the waste either?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin