Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,085   Online: 907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LensWork now subsription only ...

Interesting decision by Brooks & crew to go subscription and direct sales only. In the latest issue (#75 - the last newstand sold copy), Brooks makes a compelling enough argument about wasted newstand issues that don't sell. I for one always see chewed up issues wasting away on the shelves long after I've bought my new copy.

I guess I have to go back to subscribing again. I regret no longer being able to preview LensWork issues before I buy, although I did always end up buying just to complete my collection.

Good luck to Brooks & LensWork for this bold move. I only hope this is not the beginning of the end for what is STILL the best photography mag printed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess one way to limit price increases is to cut the wastage and just print what can be pre-sold. Sensible move.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because of its size, LensWork was always at a disadvantage on the shelf with larger magazines. It would often start out in front, and then get covered by people putting other mags back in front of it. OTOH, it appeared in stores sometimes two weeks or more before I got my copy by mail, and now maybe the posted issue will come sooner than it used to, and I won't be tempted to read it first at Barnes and Noble. :rolleyes:
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No more peeking at Barnes and Noble! I've always been curious about what was in _Lenswork_, but I would never subscribe. The pictures are just too small.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    No more peeking at Barnes and Noble! I've always been curious about what was in _Lenswork_, but I would never subscribe. The pictures are just too small.
    As a satisfied subscriber, I'd say go for it. Not every issue is a home run, but the work is of consistently high quality and interest, and the magazine is printed with skill and care. I just re-upped for two more years.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    The problem is that the bookstore is how I discovered LensWork. It is a means of marketing & advertising. But, I think Brooks knows what he is doing.

The magazine distribution model for bookstores is insane and only makes sense for publications that support themselves with lots of advertising.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I peeked, too. I think it's time I subscribed, though. I really like the magazine.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

single copies also available

In issue #75, he mentions that single copies will also still be available at the single copy price - you just need to go the website to pre-order so it gets printed with all the others. An option for those who are not sure if they want a full subscription.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Makes sense to sell only what is purchased (through subscriptions). I occasionally peek at an issue at the local bookstore and what 'jovo' says about the mag starting out in front on a shelf and then getting buried by the larger publications is true. On top of that, since they come out every other month, some of the hidden LensWork magazines get beat up for two months while on display.

On the other hand, I allowed my subcription to lapse a year or so ago when I noticed more and more digital images appearing on the pages. I understand that a beautiful image is a beautiful image, but my interest simply lessened,....I can't help it. I have issues 1 through 60-something and will continue to enjoy those.

Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    I too was introduced to LensWork at Barnes and Nobel and am sad that more readers will not have the opportunity. I am a subscriber and find something useful in every article. I also use the articles, darkroom tours, and interviews from the extended CD in my high school photography classroom.

The announcement also stated that you could only pre-order single issues leading me to believe that back issue availability may no longer be an option. Again, very sad but I am still a happy subscriber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin