Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,659   Online: 866

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Greece, Italy: Specials on Magnum Photo

Last week, a series on Magnum Photo photographers started circulating at greek kiosks and press distributors.
    For only three euros, one gets a special on a Magnum photographer which contains a photo book, a print and another book about the agency.
    The first issue was on Henri Cartier-Bresson.
    The print quality of the 48 page book is pretty good, the selection of photographs very satisfactory and the text is ok.
    The photograph that comes with it is about 30x40cm (including border) and although its print quality is not bad, its a quite forgettable one, not any of Bresson's best (a couple kissing at a parisian cafe).
    Its published by Hachette in Italy, so its originally an Italian publication.
    The greek language edition is a direct translation from italian.

The publication is set to also cover
    Philippe Halsman, Constantine Manos, Alex Webb, Robert Capa, Elliot Erwitt, Nikos Economopoulos, Rene Buri and Steve McCurry.

The greek section on the website is:
    http://www.hachette-fascicoli.it/gre...howOpera&id=13
    The italian:
    http://www.hachette-fascicoli.it/ind...ere&idopera=11

For three euros, you definately can't go wrong, although its hard to find as most distributors will only carry one-two copies.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've grabbed it when I saw it at the kiosk yesterday.

True, Bresson's photograph was pretty good printed, but I was expecting some other selection. Maybe copyright issues? I haven't checked the photo book yet [spent my entire Sunday cleaning and shooting with the Ilford Sporti] but I'm sure it can't be that bad. No matter what, it's a very good start -- you rarely see something like that in Greece.

-Sino.

Edit: The price is 2.99 only for the first book. The ones to follow will cost 8.99, as I see in their website.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am sure they chose that photograph as was probably a lot cheaper to license than Bresson's good stuff.
    As for the price range, its typical of their publications, which aren't of the highest class.
    The book is worth it though and I was pleasantly surprised.
    I will pick up the other issues as well, as they are pretty nice compact monographs not unlike eg. Phaidon's 55 series.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's exactly my thoughts, Ari. Sounds like a DeAgostini kind of deal to me. That being said, and although 9 x 8.99 = 81 = a bag of cheap film or a fridgeful of food, it still is a good try and something worth supporting, for the Greek standards.

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin