Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,956   Online: 884

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Richard Misrach at the National Gallery

It doesn't open for another two months, but this looks to be a fabulous. His prints are just gorgeous and they keep getting bigger and bigger.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    It doesn't open for another two months, but this looks to be a fabulous. His prints are just gorgeous and they keep getting bigger and bigger.
    bump

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Fraenkel Gallery in San Francisco, which I frequent 3 or 4 times a year, represents Misrach so I had the opportunity to see portions of "On the Beach."

From the National Gallery of Arts:
    ...these photographs speak of the unease and sense of foreboding that pervaded the country after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The title of the series, On the Beach, is drawn from Nevil Shute's cold war novel about nuclear holocaust.
    Sorry but if that was what Misrach was trying to portray, It didn't work in my opinion. The images were huge and flawlessly executed, even kind of artsy, but I saw no reference to 9/11.

I'd rather see the desert on fire, that's Misrach.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm more anxious than ever to see it then...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Speaking of Misrach

I just picked up one of these and it's a nice price for this book (looks like this bookstore has 72 more copies):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Golden-Gate-by-R...2em118Q2el1247

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Spangenberg View Post
    I just picked up one of these and it's a nice price for this book (looks like this bookstore has 72 more copies):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Golden-Gate-by-R...2em118Q2el1247
    IIRC the Golden Gate shot was taken from his home in the East Bay Hills. Actually not far from where I reside.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    Sorry but if that was what Misrach was trying to portray, It didn't work in my opinion. The images were huge and flawlessly executed, even kind of artsy, but I saw no reference to 9/11.
    I don't think Misrach was trying to portray anything conceptual. It's a really beautiful show. Curators are always spouting nonsensical baloney at us to make the work socially relevant when the photographer only meant to produce art.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm glad you enjoyed the show, in DC I assume.
    Unfortunately it's that time of the decade, another Presidential election year, with all the political crap that goes with it. Although it's kind of ironic that Misrach's photos of Hawaiian beaches may only remind people that they cannot afford to go the Hawaii. The left coast media are all buzzing about how people are cutting back on their holiday and vacation travel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    BTW, the prints are exceptional. I didn't see anything at the recent AIPAD show in NY that was that good. In fact, I've never seen better color work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been so busy lately, I didn't even realize the Misrach show was here. I'll have to haul myself down to the NGA--very soon. I'll see if I can sense the unease and foreboding in his images--if not maybe I can spot a few hotties on the beach.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin