Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,922   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a few ideas: how about publishing a book on CD?
    how about a calendar?

Wonder what you think of this

Hans

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the best way to go would be to partner with a magazine (photovision, black and white, lenswork, for example). The magazine would then take a big submission from APUG say once a year, then publish a yearly "The Annual APUG Portfolio". Who knows, maybe it would gain a cult following and be the 'sport's illustrated swimsuit edition' of photography? We would need to make sure the timing is right for this, maybe the site is still too young?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe, if we create a theme for members to submit too, the volume of images would be less to choose from. then maybe a calender or an article written by Apug members can be submitted for publication.

A theme Idea: Masterpiece collection Submitted images would be; an acheivement image, that when all education,experimentation and elements collide and you've got your first image that sais "I've arrived"

I do have to say though, by going through processes like these the innossence of Apug will be put to the test. It may be best to leave well enuogh alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The calendar idea seems to be very feasible if certain concessions in quality are taken. I see it as a group effort for the group though... pictures by us for us and not a marketed item outside of the web. I do know that I would like them. The group showing and the magazine idea are also good ideas.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me add to my statement that I have NO idea about the publishing of anything outside of the newspaper business. After working for various newspapers for the last 6-7 years I'm used to atrocious print quality and even a dot-matrix printer would do a better job.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just read about doing a CD project as, opposed to book publishing, in one of the articles in the latest issue of Lenswork Magazine. It was aimed more at personal projects but was very interesting.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A while ago I bought some of those little CD's to create a "portfolio", with the intention if it came up any good (being able to deal with different screen sizes, etc), I'd get some of the credit card sized/shaped ones and have ones I could hand out to people (for whatever reason) The CD's are still in my cupboard...

I have seen postings in various sites about online sites that will create/bind a book of your images. Can't think of there names at the moment. No idea of the quality, but maybe worth a look, but it does come back to who's going to edit it! Even a feature in a magazine would be hard as they don't have much room, maybe 5 -10 images would be it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    saw a post refering to Apple iphoto books.. went and found the page --> http://www.apple.com/iphoto/book.html#

Interesting... anyone seen one of these in the flesh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm sure with some ingenuity we could make our own books, I have an Epson 7600 printer, We could make jig for binding , create a cover and have something for motivated members to share within this community. In the long run it may be a way to have a tangible product for solicitation. I hesitate to submit this because of the time,money and political ramifications involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas does has a great idea, but I understand what could/could not happen because of it. What if we did some sort of small book? I know that the epson's also have the option to use rolls of paper, but I'm not sure of the actual size (I'm hoping 6-10" wide). The photos could all be printed this size and then mailed out with a cover and any other extra pages with text, etc. that would be decided on. Each individual could then decide whether they wanted to keep the images more as a loose-leaf portfolio while others could spend the extra $$$ to have theirs bound. I know Kinkos binds book for a very cheap price. I have access to a binder which lets you use those plastic rings, I would be willing to purchase a bunch of the binding rings and bind the books... at the moment I have lots of extra time as I can't print. And I also work at a dry cleaners where the business starts to slow down during the summer (less sweaters and dry clean only clothes) and could do my binding in-between waiting on customers. Hell, I could even put a couple of the books up for sale at the cleaners and also at a small-town gifts store (it's run by a lady and her mother and they take 10-15% I'm already planning on matting small b&w images and selling them there).

blog
    website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin