Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,670   Online: 1174

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just brainstorming and trying to come up with some ideas. Hopefully my post will act as a springboard for someone else.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee have their own books printed. So that's proof very high quality work can be produced by individuals outsourcing the work. What the cost is, I have no idea...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    saw a post refering to Apple iphoto books.. went and found the page --> http://www.apple.com/iphoto/book.html#

Interesting... anyone seen one of these in the flesh?
    $40 a shot, that is how much I figure it would cost per unit, if yu think about it, 1000 units would be $40000. Typically a table book sells for $80 so I figure once you inlcude the distribuitor etc.....the is not much left. If anybody has an extra $40000 let me know ......

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have visited with Michael about the cost of producing a photo book. He tells me that the one of the most important aspects is the sequencing of the images. Interestingly enough the same sentiment was voiced by one of the publishers in an article in View Camera Magazine.

Michael mentioned a book that someone was wanting to do. The book was to include about 100 images and the cost was going to be in the neighborhood of $100, 000 for that book.

Michael and Paula consult in all phases of the book production. The fees that they quoted me were $1,500 per day. He mentioned that they do work with photographers in arranging financing for a project, if needed. Additionally they work in seeking publishers that may want to take a book on. They told me of a publisher that may want to take a look at my "Exodus" body of work. Additionally, aside from that contact, I have since come into contact with a NYC based publisher that produces photo books as well. I don't know where this will end up at this time.

I have spoken with a doctor in Florida that works in platinum, bromoil and silver large format. He self published a book several years ago. His wife indicated that they produced an initial printing of 2000 at a cost of $75,000. She said that in retrospect they wished they had printed half that number. They benefitted from a big press release in Shutterbug Magazine and their book was listed as the best of it's type for that year. Yet, marketing their own book, is not proving to be a windfall.

The problem, even if one has the finances, is one of distribution. Book stores like to have a Library of Congress number and additionally an ISBN number here in the states. It is my understanding that in order to gain an ISBN number one needs to be in the business of publishing. I have no idea what the distribution considerations are in other countries.

Getting back to Michael Smith, he self published a book over 15 years ago. The binder screwed up a major portion of that run. He ended up with a small fraction of the intended printing. I believe that the remainder of that printing is just now being sold out by Michael. Perhaps it is now totally gone...a year ago the price per copy was $1,500.

Ego building though it may be to see one's name and work in a publication, the reality of the matter is that it is not easy...in fact it is damned risky. If you have the money to fund this thing, let me know because I have some prime beach front property to sell.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    we need one of our members to win a multi-state powerball, then they can fund books for us all.

Images
    If only there were a site on the world wide web that people coud post their photos in galleries full of great quality images... oh wait...
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    A couple of other types of photography in printed form that may be less expensive and still not encounter the Library of Congress and ISBN number considerations are calenders, posters, postcards, and notecards.

About 20 years ago I produced a composite image that I copyrighted through actual governmental procedure (aside from simply afixing a copyright notice to the work). This image then became the basis for a poster that a graphic artist designed the layout for. I worked with a printer in the color separation process and the matters of paper choice, varnishes etc. I produced 5000 of these (at that time) for a cost of $5,000. I took care of the distribution myself (what a pain). I sold the poster to the retailer for $15.00 which they in turn marked up to retail.

I would think that high quality posters (both of image strength and also printing process) would still work today. Additionally high quality note cards and calenders may work as well.

This makes a photographic image available to a greater potential audience since the pricing is more favorable then an actual photograph. There is a segment of our population that simply want something attractive hanging on the wall. (they don't really care that it lasts 25 or even 100 years longer then their lifetime). I would guess that their numbers far exceed the true collectors of photographic art.

The matter of distribution would still be a matter of concern and consideration. Those details would need to be worked out.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin