Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,755   Online: 936

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With apologies - I guess. I couldn't think of where else to post this.

I recently was asked to recommend a book of "Fine Art" photography. The first thought that came to mind was "The Galleries at APUG" ... especially the Critique gallery."
    All of the images here form an impressive body of work, and If I were to open a book with these images at the local Borders, it would certainly be "at the same level" as the finest they have.

The basic pholosophies here are such that they seem to breed fine work.
    I have been fortunate to meet some of the "great lights" in photography and there seems to be a common thread among the characters of all ... Generally they are modest (almost like: "I really can't quite understand what all the fuss is about me.); there is a willingness to help each other; a sense of humor about themselves; - I remember a gushing woman greeting one of the really `famous ones', "Oh, Mr. *****, you are the world's greatest photographer!" His reply: "Uh, yeh... well. I DO photography. I guess once in a while I make a good one".

Somehow - APUG has evolved (?) or was it always so ... into the same atmosphere. A fertile field for excellent, expressive photography. The levels here are so high that it is difficult to critique. "Wow - look at that image ... and this one ... and this one ... and there is another great one ..."

This is a wonderful - MAGIC - place, and all involved deserve the highest accolades.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Their is an energy here at Apug that seems to reflect peoples visceral energy towards photography. the images are stylized and reflect great diversity, Apug has somehow (without threat of rejection through an approval process) attracted a very high level of contribution. The books I see in the bookstores tend to either re-publish history with a new face or only the dreaded top 10 or 15 publically approved faces over and over again. On line galleries or publications are todays mechinism for visibility. The sad thing is we can't bind our computers and put them on the coffee table. Maybe we should talk to Sean and convince him to Bi-Annually publish articles,images and critiques. With the job they've done with Apug what they could with that project!

Shooter
    35mm
    I know this may sound like a long shot - and perhaps an impossibility, but has anyone ever thought of getting the best images into a book and getting it published. We could look for contributions off APUG members and cut costs in areas like design by getting people to put forward their skills- I for one am a graphic designer.

Just a thought, I don't know what others think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Budd
    I know this may sound like a long shot - and perhaps an impossibility, but has anyone ever thought of getting the best images into a book and getting it published. We could look for contributions off APUG members and cut costs in areas like design by getting people to put forward their skills- I for one am a graphic designer.

Just a thought, I don't know what others think?
    In theory it's a good idea but I'm afraid fraught with potential problems. The images to be included have to be selected who would do that?
    Certainly, the idea of people contributing their particular skill is a cost saver but finding a company to print it at the sort of quality required is likely to be expensive. Even if we could manage that, distribution is difficult to arrange. I'm not against the idea Tim but I've been involved in similar ventures in the past and they have always ended in acrimony. I've said in previous posts that we have a happy and growing group of interesting people and photographers and long may it last. I think this sort of venture, interesting as it may be, could introduce ill feeling and arguments that we could well do without.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm with Les here, I'm afraid...

While I consider myself a hobbyist darkroomer, I nevertheless work long and hard at getting exactly the tones I want. If I feel it would improve the result, I'll use a different paper/surface/developer/toner until I'm happy or give up. I will also use different processing (and cropping) depending on the final size of the print.

Now printing that in a book would be very, very expensive. I'm not sure I could afford to buy it - or whether I would if I could. A portfolio of 11x14" fine prints would probably be cheaper!

But I love the idea
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    In theory it's a good idea but I'm afraid fraught with potential problems. The images to be included have to be selected who would do that?
    Why, you Les of course! (Kidding)

Publishing a book is not an easy thing and the reuturns are not worth the hassle. Like Les said, who would edit? if doing a simple critique can cause a big flame war, imagine if the editor decided to pass on images, he would probably get crucified. Printing and distribuitng the book can run into the many tens of thousands of dollars. Although Sean has done a great job getting sponsors (with the help of some people, you know who you are, thanks!!) I am sure APUG is no where near having that kind of money.

While it would be nice to do a "pictures from afar" book with contributions from our members, I think this idea is one that will be in the "wish we could do this but...." tray.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    In theory a super idea but, as others have pointed out, there are obstacles waiting just below the surface. An enormous task for whoever has to mastermind the project.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ole's portfolio idea is an excellent one. One of the groups I read is a group that you need to be asked to join and I was lucky enough to know someone that was a member. We did a portfolio exchange a year or two ago. The way it worked was after the list came out of who wanted to do it, each member selected a print and made that many copies and then we sent them to a central member that had offered to collate them and resend them to each member. There were 2 portfolios that were extra. One was donated to the Houston Center for Photography and was sold in auction as a money raiser for HCP and the other was donated to the Harry Ransom Center for Humanities at the University of Texas Austin, TX. We could do the same thing I think. There was very nice work and I feel lucky to have been included.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These are intrersting comments. I, for one would *HATE* to have to select "only a few" - there are so many really good ones - where would one start?

I have no experience in publishing - however, I hope everyone realizes that "Fine Photography Books" *ARE* published - and certainly the risks and problems involved are no less with those than there would be here.

Would we be beset by acrimony? ... I don't think so. That would be so far "out of character" for APUG ... I don't think it could happen.

I certainly cannot speak for everyone, but if *my work* was not included, I would not go into orbit. I think everyone here has shown a level of maturity and a confidence in themselves so that "fits of pique" would surprise the hell out of me.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also like the idea of a portfolio of some sort with a nicely printed cover as a more manageable kind of project to start with. If someone has access to gallery space, it could go along with a group show.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin