Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,341   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Which Magazine/Publication for the Newbie ?

I am a beginner, slowly learning about cameras and developing, but more so how to "see". There seems to be many fine publications out there.

What magazine would you recommend to a newbie as the one that consistently will have features that will open their mind to new ways of looking through a lens? and is analog-centric.

Lensman?
    Black& White UK
    Silvershotz -- looks very inspirational
    any others ?

Clueless in Dublin

Simplicius

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my opinion, your money would be better spent on photography books.

For the price of a glossy magazine you can usually find a good selection of photographic books from a charity shop (such as Oxfam).

Most of my books are secondhand sourced this way.

Plus - ask lots of questions here.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Steve. Besides books I would also visit museums, galleries and other collections that are open to the public.

Another recommendation is to discuss the subject with other photographers and perhaps go on joint excursions and attend workshops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the only magazine that has some traditional content any more is B&W from the UK.
    The US version is geared toward collectors of images, View Camera--the name says it all and Photo Techniques has displaced most of it's traditional content with d1tital.
    You may find more information on line than at the news stand and traditional books are also being displaced at the bookstore.
    There are bunches of good books available in the used market through Amazon
    and other online booksellers.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree that you will gain much more from books, do a search for Les McLean, and Dr Tim Rudman on Amazon for starters. For inspiration try Lenswork and Silvershotz mags.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photo Techniques would be a great start. Maybe some books. I would suggest Ansel Adams' 'The Negative' and 'The Print'.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Your request was "how to see" . In that case, I would get BandW magazine, Lenswork, maybe silvershotz, focus, etc. so you can see lots of images, current images, vintage, and TRENDS and support the 'cause' so to speak...also, do searches on the web on famous photogs and spend time looking at images....you might want to consider Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee's photo workshop on vision. I believe you are focusing on the right thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a budget that will stretch to both purchase of books and a magazine or two then hopefully you will get the best of both worlds.

I would certainly recommend the UK B&W Photography magazine, I'm not familiar with the US one. Liz Roberts is now the new editor so expect to see further changes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Snip"

I would certainly recommend the UK B&W Photography magazine, I'm not familiar with the US one. Liz Roberts is now the new editor so expect to see further changes.
    Oh dear! The downhill run accelerates?

You may have to get a digital back for that 5x4 of yours Trevor.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Oh dear! The downhill run accelerates?

You may have to get a digital back for that 5x4 of yours Trevor.
    Not at all Dave..........Liz is very much orientated towards the art side of photography. There is bound to be digital based articles/material; a result of our 'modern' times I'm affraid. After all the mag. has to cater for a wide readership.

I'm also pleased to say David Corfield will still be wrighting for the mag.

Hell will freeze over before I put a digi-back on my 5x4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin