Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,275   Posts: 1,681,100   Online: 808

Shooter
    Medium Format

Found a great book!

Have just found (and bought) 'The history of photography' by Helmut & Alison Gernsheim. Absolutely fabulous! It covers 'From the earliest use of camera obscura in 11th Century up to 1914'.

Slowly reading through it. Some interesting & fascinating information in it I didn't know happened or even existed.....

Has anybody else come across this book, and are there other books which cover from 1914 onwards?

Marcus Smith

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check their book, 'Creative Photography'. It covers 1839-1960.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    'The history of photography' by Helmut & Alison Gernsheim. Absolutely fabulous! It covers 'From the earliest use of camera obscura in 11th Century up to 1914'.
    I have a copy. It is regarded as a classic. One of the earliest surveys of photo history.

Check out "Photography and the American Scene" by Robert Taft. It is also very, very good.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    sounds good, im gonna look for it.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Have just found (and bought) 'The history of photography' by Helmut & Alison Gernsheim. Absolutely fabulous! It covers 'From the earliest use of camera obscura in 11th Century up to 1914'.

Has anybody else come across this book, and are there other books which cover from 1914 onwards?

Marcus Smith
    It is a great book!. I have the revised and expanded edition (Thames & Hudson, 1982), retitled: 'The Origins of Photography' by Gernsheim. I found it on a discount book list - hard cover in slipcase - it looks like a collectable book printed on high quality paper and has excellent photo reproductions, including daguerrotypes w/metallic look.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would seem there are a number of different variants of the Gernsheims' work. Mine is paperback and entitled "A Concise History of Photography" and has an additional section covering "The Modern Period", which in this case is defined as 1914 to about 1971 when this version was published. I'd love to get hold of the version Paul 'panastasia' has as the only criticism I have of mine is that the photographic reproduction is quite poor quality.

Crispin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are many. The recent Martin Parr/Gerry Badger history of photoboks (two volumes) is a great favorite of mine, as is its conceptual neighbor the book of 100 books.

Most people get one of the standard texts, like Newhall. Ehhh

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have "The New History of Photography" by Michel Frizot and it is quite comprehensive. I love it.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your replies, they have been most helpful. I hope you all may find the book in question helpful too!

Thanks again, Marcus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Another excellent book on 19th century photography:

The Origins of American Photography, From Daguerreotype to Dry-Plate, 1839-1885, by Keith F. Davis (HFF/NAMA, 2007).
    -David
    prifti.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin