Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,620   Online: 991

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are All Juried Show Results Valid?

In a word: No. Keep trying. Not all jurors are idiots, but many are.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Look to bigger, better shows in the area.

FAVA, 39 S Main Street, Oberlin, OH 44074, had its 28th annual six state photography show in February. They proudly tell you who the judge is, that person’s background, demonstrate examples of the judge’s work and have he/she speak about judging criteria at the opening. For several years they have used retired or current Ohio college photography professors as judges. They always say how many entries there were and how many were juried in.

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland is in it’s 30 something year of photography shows, run by Herb (Ascherman) here on APUG. I am not fond of this show because they judge an 8x10 representation of your image rather than the image, but they tell you how many entrants there were, how many were juried in, and who the judge is. The judge usually speaks to the entrants telling of his experience, showing examples of work and telling of judging criteria.

Akronography at Summit Art Space is every two years, had it’s first show this year and hopes to continue every other year. The judge was hired to record the design and building of the new Akron Art Museum. A count of entries and those juried in was given. The judge was at the opening for questions and answers. This show had a three county subject, residence or work restriction.

Cuyahoga Valley National Park Photography Club has an annual show listing entrants, number juried in, and juror. Judging criteria was explained. They require that the photographic subject be in the 36,000 acre park.

There are also many visual arts shows in the area, but again the judge is identified, numbers and criteria explained. Artists of Rubber City (AORC) has two such shows a year at Summit Art Space in Akron.

These are just a few of the shows in the area that you might want to consider.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post

Cuyahoga Valley National Park Photography Club has an annual show listing entrants, number juried in, and juror. Judging criteria was explained. They require that the photographic subject be in the 36,000 acre park...
    I am really interested in this. Could you post examples of/ the "judging criteria"?

I have seen instances where work that received "Best of Show" in one art organization was rejected as "not worthy to be put on the walls" in another, one month later.

The only pre-published "criteria" I've seen have been vague - something like, "No larger than 20" x 30". framed, wired, ... and will be judged on `originality'" (whatever that is).

There is a tendency to NOT reveal the identity of the Juror/s until after the submission deadline. There are databases correlating judges to their awards - if a particular judge has been known to favor "large floral photographs", as an example, the show is apt to receive nothing but large floral photographs.

Now ... juried results as a measure of "merit"? Possible, I guess. Probable? .. NO. There are those who do heroes work in trying ... but few really succeed, either too heavily influenced by their own personal biases or ... in some instances by ... One case in point ... an artist (term loosely applied) received "Best in Show" one month after his mother made a secret (nice try!) donation of $2000 to the art organization. That had nothing to do with the award... or so it says here...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again, John and Ed. It sounds like there are plenty of opportunities in this area. It also sounds as if these others may be differently run/organized than my first experience. For all I know, though, I may not have known where to get the answers to my questions at this annual show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some (most?) photo or art shows issue a "prospectus" with varying degrees of information.

For an example here's info for a show in eastern Pennsylvania. This show is well established and draws enough work that only about 10% +/- submissions get in. Note that the juror's names appear right on the first page.

In my experience, jurors do not generally come to openings, although it occasionally happens. Probably some are afraid to return to the scene of the crime.

Sometimes in our art club member show (which is judged for awards but not actually "juried") we are able to get a few written comments from the judge about why he chose pieces he picked for awards. This doesn't always happen, however. Maybe it's my imagination, but I find a slight pattern that art educators tend to be a little more cooperative and helpful than those who are mostly about commercial endeavor -- it's that enthusiasm for teaching (I hope).

DaveT

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    "Judging criteria was explained."

[QUOTE=Ed Sukach;626248]I am really interested in this. Could you post examples of/ the "judging criteria"?

Sorry Ed if I was not clear. In the examples given the judge spoke either at the opening or in a meeting at about the same weekend as the opening, saying what criteria had been used. This was verbal and long after the closing date for submissions. In this year's FAVA show the judge said that a large number of entrants had been rejected because of poor presentation. By that he said that he meant poorly cut mats, dirty mats, inappropriate frames, dirty glass.

For me it is hard to imagine that you would go to the trouble of entering a show and not check those things, but a large number were juried out for that reason. I am sorry, if he said the number I don't remember. The impression that has stayed with me was that it was approx 20% or more.

In all the shows mentioned the judge and his/her experience was announced on the same flier that announced the show. Again for this year’s FAVA show we were told that Justin Kronewetter had established the photography program at Ohio Wesleyan University 20+ years ago and that he was also known for building the Universities large photography collection. He then spoke at the opening.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since this past week was the second show that I've done with these folks, I'm on their mailing list annually.

It's the same announcement every year, with a list of dates for entries, etc., but absolutely nothing about who's jurying. Sure sounds like they could use an upgrade in event management. Nothing's really spoken of them at the opening, either, just references to how much the show means to the community arts association.

Jo

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jo,

there is a local show here in FTW that I have entered several times that is sponsored by an art assoc in conjunction with Texas Christian University and their art dept. They send out a brochure ever year with the entry form printed in the brochure and a very detailed description of who is jurying the work and their background. Out of a 5 year selection I have gotten into the show 3 times and 2 times the work was rejected. They also do something I like which is to have the jurist give a talk and slide show of the work s/he selected and then they announce the prizes that were awarded. Then the show is officially open with wine and cheese and for viewing. The name of the show is called Art in Metroplex.

lee\c

you might call the people and ask politely who is the jurist this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin