Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,595   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are All Juried Show Results Valid?

This is really a post requesting juried show protocol advise more than anything else.

I've had the pleasure of submitting a few samples of my pics over the last two years to a local community arts association. These two shows constitute my entire experience with juried shows. The association concentrates on the performing arts, but hosts an annual show for the visual arts with the catagories of sculpture, sketches and painting, and photographs.

Should the association reveal who is on the jury and their qualifications? Is it proper to ask who they are when you're wandering around the reception? Is is wrong to want an explaination of why the placing were as they were? Should there be more catagories?

What the heck is "museum wrapped glicee (?) on canvas" and why did this enormous digital color bomb resembling a black velvet painting beat my well matted/framed Ektalure in Selectol print ?

Jo
    Last edited by jolefler; 05-04-2008 at 08:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: pilot error

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have never been involved with a show that did not "reveal " the name and background of the judges. ALso, we have worn badges to indicate an association with the specific show.

With my experiences there is a weighted graded system based on specific define goals.

As to catagories, ask the sponsors. It is getting more difficult in the photography catagory; some split it between traditional and digital.

A museum wrapped image on canvas is just that . A photo that is printed out on an inkjet printer on canvas and then place on stretcher rails to resemble a painting with no frame. Thank goodness the "gilcee" term is lossing popularity with people using the term inkjet or pigment ink.

why the "black velvet" photo beat out yours is hard to detemine without being on the jury and seeing the grade points.

It is not easy to find judges these days who can judge both painting and photography, which occurs most the time, at least in my area of the world. There are two basic classifications; three d art and 2 d art with different judges for the catagories, but most 2d judges don't have a lot of experience with photography, either traditional, alternative process or digital. So , if your judges fell into that group they are not aware of the sutle difference.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all depends on the juror. If you have the best cat picture in the world and the juror hates cats, your photo will probably not be accepted. I have never seen a show that did not identify the judge(s) and provide background. I have seen shows where the juror showed up at the opening just in time to announce the awards and then beat a hasty exit (either other obligations or just didn't want to talk to anyone). I have been to openings where the juror stayed the entire time and welcomed conversation with the exhibitors. Picking what entries get into the show is not the hardest part. This is at least partly a function of available space versus the number of entries. The hardest part is picking the awards after the show is hung. This will depend to some extent on the taste of the juror. And if the juror doesn't like yours, then obviously the juror has no taste.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The results are only as valid as you make them. Jurors can eliminate a piece because it doesn't fit their theme, they don't like the title, are biased toward traditional/digital processes, prefer pictures of flowers over pictures of mountains, ANYTHING. Juried shows are rather pretentious most of the time, and their results are rarely an indication of the artists skill in their medium. I'll stop here before going into my rant on the perceived objective nature of photography.

Success in a juried show does give a sense of accomplishment, and is a nice line on your CV if you are a beginner (in terms of the art market, not how long you have been working in the medium). The nice thing is that you don't have to mention how many times you have been juried out!

Yours:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

All this brings more questions!?!

Juried out? Does that mean that the (I estimate) 50 or so displayed works were a fraction of those presented? That would certainly make me feel better, as all of my three submissions were hanging in the gallery at the reception. There did appear to be more works in the room where I dropped off my stuff, but it was a small room & quite cramped.

They also awarded a first place, second place and honorable mention in each of the three catagories....is that the norm from your experiences?

I've done a few one-man shows at area coffee houses, etc. and even though my mounted & matted fiber prints are very reasonably priced, I got more satisfaction and positive feedback from those rare days where my portfolio cases went home lighter and my pocketbook more full.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have never heard, or been involved in a juried show that hung everything presented.
    you entered 3 and had all three chosen for the show which most would consider to be successful.

perhaps you need to find out who was in charge of the show and ask to speak to them with the intent to find out what you need to do in the future to aid in being more successful. i certainly would not couch it in terms of your desatisfation as to the "winner" as that will not bring about anything but negative reactions.

If you enjoy hanging your images at local places and that brings you joy and pleasure, why not just do that and don't worry about juried events.
    It is not unusal to award ribbons /money to the top "winners".

We all bring "our luggage" to the table, either as a judge or a casual viewer . I can only speak for myself, but i know i have areas that i just couldn't bring myself to award a first place too; however, would indicate this to my fellow judges with specific reasons, not with a statement of "just not liking"
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would be unusual for the names of jurors to not be announced, but not unheard of. Usually the names and reputations of the jurors are what lend prestige to the show.

However, in answer to your questions, "Is it proper to ask who they are when you're wandering around the reception? Is is wrong to want an explaination of why the placing were as they were? Should there be more catagories?"
    I would say that it is improper to ask who they are at the reception; they may not even be there. Most do not attend openings. Yes, it is wrong to ask for an explanation of their decisions. The jurors' decisions are always final and may be questioned to oneself, but never to the jurors. That would be the epitome of bad form. Always remember that you are being juried, not critiqued. There is a big difference.
    The categories are usually announced in the prospectus; were you given one, and did you read it?

And finally... if I submitted 3 works to a juried show and all were accepted, I would be happy as a clam. You can't beat 100%!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eddym sums it up very well. I too am a little surprised the jurors were not identified, as some people like to strategize based on the jurors' backgrounds and expertise. I personally am not convinced that is particularly worthwhile, but to each his own. To give some idea about juried shows, a small local art club I belong to generally hangs about 60% of the submitted work, as we don't get a huge number of submissions.

I submitted to a larger photography show recently that received slightly over a thousand submissions and is going to hang about 130. needless to say, just getting a piece in such a show can give one some warm fuzzies.

The arrangement with the jurors usually gives them pretty much total control over what winds up in the show; the sponsoring organization may make some stipulations about the number of pieces, and maybe some limitations like "only one cash award to a given artist" and the like. You will never get the same show twice -- probably not even with the same judge/juror. The final selection can't help but be subjective. Most organizations that sponsor annual exhibitions get different jurors each year to help diversify the results. In my case, one of three pieces rejected* from a January show has been accepted into the one mentioned in my example.

As I suggested in an earlier thread about shows, think of it as a lottery that you have to bring a picture to!

DaveT

* My club uses the term "declined" as being less distressing than "rejected."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post

And finally... if I submitted 3 works to a juried show and all were accepted, I would be happy as a clam. You can't beat 100%!
    You bet. In a recent show I submitted 4 pieces (the maximum allowed) and all 4 were accepted. The organizers told me that it was relatively unusual for that to happen, as they try to give exposure to a variety of artists. However, the juror has the final say. That part would still apply if all 4 were declined.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Folks! Looks as if I really became involved without knowing the ground rules. It could have turned out much worse. My thanks for your insights.

I live within a reasonable distance of a metropolitan area....I'll beat the bushes to uncover more of these shows, as preparing entries seems to be good for my motivation and industry. Thanks again

Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin