Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,479   Online: 868

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Probably around 40-50. Most of my books are packed at the moment as we're getting ready to move again, so that's my best guess. I periodically cull the technical books.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say about 70; most of which are multiple books from:

Sally Mann
    Cartier-Bresson
    Robert Adams
    Abelardo Morell
    Sam Abell
    Keith Carter
    Joel Meyerowitz
    Steve McCurry
    George Tice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is about 150, which were on the shelf, and another 50+ boxed away. All are in storage now, except a small number I have in here in Turkey, books are the worst thing to travel with as they aslways weish so much. I'm restricted to John, Davies, Fay Godwin, John Blakemore, Andy Goldsworthy at the moment.

That doesn't include my books on critical theory etc, which must be about another 30, or the technical books 200+. Not many technique books at all

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    (A note on moving with books: at least here in the US, there is a special postal rate for books, which is uniform across the country. When I have moved I have always mailed the books separately.)

I had 1964 but I gave it to a GF who is now gone. *sigh* (for the book). Made up for it by recently finding a copy of Moriyama's Farewell Photography still selling for the marked price and now a pretty complete collection of Rinko Kawauchi (APUG Rolleiflex users take note of her...).

The Brodovitch Ballet is the collector jewel but I really, really want to find a copy of Solitude of Ravens (the local library has one.... gorgeous. They have quite a few hard-to-find books, actually, like a pristine copy of Exiles).

Sun/Sand points out a curious effect of age: a tech book from 1939 can indeed be transformed into a different sort of artifact. I have some Mortenson titles that I view in the same way.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    ...I have some Mortenson titles that I view in the same way...
    I have a 1936 2nd edition of Monsters and Madonnas which is subtitled a Book of Methods, so perhaps this is just a technical book!? I find the writing and insights no less relevant today than when first put on paper.

At a quick count probably over 100 monographs and an equal number of technical, biographies, collections, histories etc. The latest purchase 2 weeks ago was Gregory Crewsdon's Beneath the Roses. I'm pretty sure the first was Diane Arbus' aperture monograph. I originally borrowed it from the university library in the late '70s when I was researching buying my first SLR. It was such a "whack in the side of the head" at the time I had to go and buy my own copy.

Naturally I have quite a few books by Australians or adopted Australians such as Harold Cazneaux, Max Dupain, David Moore, Jeff Carter, Robert Billington, Gordon Undy, Lewis Morley, Graham McCarter, Olive Cotton, Frank Hurley, Trent Parke and Narelle Autio and others.

I make it easy for my family when it comes to birthdays and Christmas. Anything from this list would be just fine!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'm around 40 or 50... and I have lots of art books on painting, too. Does that count? No technical books!! Well, I can't say that truly, I think I have the two or three of the Ansel Adams books, but rarely refer to them. I find them poorly written. A few favorites... Treadwell by Andrea Modica, Sadness of Men by Phil Perkis, At Twelve and Immediate Family by Sally Mann, Ralph Eugene Meatyard by ... well, not sure! There are other's, too. I love looking through them all from time to time.

Oh.. and I have a convenient Amazon wish list for anyone who might be so inclined as to add to my collection

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not so many photo books as per the definition, probably 5 or 10, Adams, Weston, Meisel, a few others.

A note about moving books, when you re-shelve them, start at 'Z', not 'A', it's much easier to fit the books to the available space that way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    100+/-
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, not sure. I love photo books and rummaging in old book stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    other people's photo albums ( bought at thrift stores ), or artist's books count,
    ... or do the books have to be distributed by a publishing house ?

i have somewhere between 20 and 40.

penn, portera, karsh, adams, avedon ... and some "randoms" ...
    im empty, good luck

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin