Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,418   Posts: 1,596,691   Online: 937

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

How Many Photo Books Do You Own?

(Posted in response to the "how many cameras" thread -- which has come and gone abut three times IIRC)

How Many Photo Books Do You Own?

With this distinction: books on technique are not photo books.

I'd say I have about 10 books on technique and three shelves of photo books -- so about 150.

Ignoring the piles of magazines, for now.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Somewhere around 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have approx 40.
    Some favourites are

Diane Arbus - Revelations (I love 'behind the scenes' stuff - proof sheets, alternate prints etc)

Michael Lesy - Angel's World (about Angelo Rizzuto, a loner who practiced a type of street photography in 1950s NY. Included a shot of himself in his boarding house room on each roll)

Josef Koudelka - publ by Fototorst (small format 6.5" x 7.5" book that covers all his great photos. Excellent print quality & easily available, unlike most of his books)

Mark Cohen - Grim Street

Danny Lyon - The Bikeriders & Destruction of Lower Manhattan.

Photo book I would most like to own - 1964 by Gary Winogrand. I love the cover photo but this book is rare & expensive.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    50 easy. My favorites are about the peccadilloes noted from followers of said people.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    40-50 would be a good guess, favorites would be those with local/regional story to share - Keith Carter, Winogrand, June Van Cleef, Paula Chamlee, Laura Wilson. Just ordered a Tillman Crane today.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have three--100 Suns by Michael Light (restored documentary photos from the years of above ground nuclear testing); American Ground Zero by Carole Gallagher (documenting the people who lived with the fallout); and Ansel Adams at 100 (a gift).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just counted 53 on my creaking bookshelf. My favourites are
    Raymond Moore - 'Murmurs At Every Turn' and 'Every so Often'.
    Walker Evans - 'First and Last'
    Charles Pratt - 'Photographs'

- Tony
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    40 or more, I got a copy of Dune just today, it was inexpensive and in new condition, I don't know why I waited so long to get it. I have more on the way.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Probably only a few that would meet your requirements
    My favorite book dedicated to photographs is American Photographers and The National Parks
    Handbook of Photography by Henney and Dudley which is a text so it doesn't count. Mint 1939 second printing. My only real technique book, though.
    Golf: Great Courses of the World which is a book of the best courses worldwide. photos by jean-francois lefevre
    What the Traveler Saw. Great book. half photo book.
    I pick up old Life magazines and those Eyewitness to History types
    Santa Monica Bay: the first 100 years. pictorial history
    THE MOTORING CENTURY. The Story of the Royal Automobile Club
    1897-1997. Pictorial history. Nice book to look through.
    Niagara on the Lake. pictorial type
    The Coral Sea by Patti Smith. Handful of photos by Mapplethorpe. She was his first model and friend

I pick up books that contain photographs rather than set out to pick up artist books
    I take books out of Rundell Library all the time for that

I have many art books.
    Last edited by sun of sand; 05-18-2008 at 02:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    108 at home and maybe another 10-15 at school. Then about 50 more technical books scattered about.

Favorites are by Veruschka, Robert Maxwell, Francesca Woodman, Sheila Metznor, and several Pictorialists (e.g., Brigman, Eugene, Seeley, White, Steichen, etc.).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin