Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,534   Posts: 1,572,717   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    I also happen to own what must be the worst print Brett ever made; ...

As far as Brett goes, I guess I'm not as big a fan as some of you.
    You can send it to me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    I also happen to own what must be the worst print Brett ever made; the matting, his signature, etc. are done in a way that I would have to call simply tasteless, the signature really huge and almost more prominent than the image like shouting "BRETT WESTON!".
    Was the print floated in a window or did the overmat cover any part of the print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it doesn't come to the Northwest I'll be on the Amtrak to SB, I lived there when I went to Brooks and know the area very well. I'll probably stay at Jim's apt. in Ventura, no, just kidding Jim, I like the Franciscan next to the beach in SB and a short walk from the train station. There is one very small RV park in SB near the beach too but it would be $1000.00 at $4.50 a gallon just to take my truck and small trailer. I'm a big fan and would love to see the show.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Was the print floated in a window or did the overmat cover any part of the print?
    Y'know, I'm not quite sure. I think it floated but the matte itself was "floating" around without being quite attached to the back board and it seems to me that the signature has its own window, too. Anyway, something weird about it. It may be either in storage or in my other studio, if the latter I'll see if I can find it, shoot it (BLAM!) and post an image.

Another weird thing about it is that he didn't bother to burn down a hot corner. That is inexcusable. Oh yes, and Somebody framed it. Not saying who (but NOT ME!) and the frame is falling apart too. Quality control was definitely not up to standard.

I really ought to sell it. Now that he's passed on, even though it sucks, it is probably worth something.

Shooter
    Large Format

Catalogue

Just received the catalogue from Phillips gift shop. It is stunning beginning with the iconic Mendenhall Glacier on the front cover. Scott Hale's biographical essay makes me wish somebody would publish John Wood's manuscript. The essay by Halford-MacLeod & Phillips is good for understanding Brett's contribution to Modernist photography. But, ultimately, its the images that make this $25 catalogue such a good deal. Now if I can only find a way of catching the Amtrak up to DC ;-(
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin