Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,645   Online: 933

Shooter
    35mm

San Francisco, San Diego Exhibtions etc.

Hello,
    in the middle of September I will stay in California for about 20 days, mostly in S.F. and San Diego. Can anybody tell me what's up there in photography(museums, galeries, exhibitions and others)? Because it's my first stay in the U.S. I'm not very experienced in that scene there.
    Thank you very much.

Regards
    Hubert

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, in San Francisco check out: www.sfmoma.org

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hubert -

Will you have a car? How adventuresome are you about using public transportation to travel to outlying areas?

In San Francisco, a must-see is the DeYoung Museum. The photography is limited but classic, but its inspiring to see some of the paintings.

Another place we discovered when we were there two weeks ago is the Cantor Center at Stanford University in Palo Alto. There is some photography, but more importantly, they have a fabulous collection of Rodin sculptures. Rodin's work is very influential in my portraiture and figure photography. It's accessible via the light rail system.

If you have a car and wish to drive to Carmel (about 2 hours south), the Weston Museum and Gallery West both have excellent displays.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Hubert -

Will you have a car? How adventuresome are you about using public transportation to travel to outlying area

In San Francisco, a must-see is the DeYoung Museum. The photography is limited but classic, but its inspiring to see some of the paintings.

Another place we discovered when we were there two weeks ago is the Cantor Center at Stanford University in Palo Alto. There is some photography, but more importantly, they have a fabulous collection of Rodin sculptures. Rodin's work is very influential in my portraiture and figure photography. It's accessible via the light rail system.

If you have a car and wish to drive to Carmel (about 2 hours south), the Weston Museum and Gallery West both have excellent displays.
    Thanks a lot for that suggestions.
    I will not have a car in S.F, so I have to take public transportation there.
    On the other hand, after our stay there(five days) I have rent a car to go down south to S.D.(5-6 days) an stay there for another 5-6 days. So I intend to hold the route rather"open", there's the possibility to have a look at more hidden or uncommon places.

Regards
    Hubert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hubert,

In San Diego, the one stand out is MoPA (the Museum of Photographic Arts) in Balboa Park, but the Joseph Bellows Gallery also offers photo exhibitions as well.

If you have a day to spend in Los Angeles (about 2 hrs from San Diego) the Getty is not to be missed. Also in LA is Bergamot Station, though you never know what's gonna be there.

http://www.mopa.org/
    http://www.bergamotstation.com/
    http://www.josephbellows.com/
    http://www.getty.edu/museum/

Do you plan to do any shooting while you're here?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly_71 View Post
    Hubert,
    [..]
    Do you plan to do any shooting while you're here?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Hello Andrew,

Yes, of course. But I don't know what will await me. Sure, that Highway 1. But I don't intend to add to that x-thousand photos of that highway those of mine. Normally I take photos in a sequential way, that means, I have to find a theme which I will work out during my stay in California(if time isn't too short). Therefore I will wait and see what will happen.

Regards
    Hubert

Shooter
    35mm
    Huh, enough for couple of days;-). Especially the mopa looks very interesting.
    Thanks a lot.

Regards
    Hubert

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://www.balboapark.org/

Balboa Park is a must see. It contains almost all of the museums in SD, the incredible Spanish revival architecture, and the San Diego Zoo (which is world-famous). You can also head down to the Embarcadero to see the USS Midway museum and the Star of India (old trading ship) in the harbor. The "Old Town" or Presidio is also a good place to spend the day. The Mission San Diego de Alcala is further up Mission Valley (nearer Qualcom Stadium) and is the first Spanish mission in California. Tijuana is a trolley ride from downtown to the border. You can cross the border by foot, but take a passport these days. Oh yeah, and the lighthouse in Point Loma by the Fort Rosecrans Cemetary provides a spectacular view of San Diego and the harbor.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just got back from San Francisco. The Lee Miller exhibit and the over all photo exhibition in the SFMOMA is excellent. There are a few prints from Stieglitz, Adams and Brett Weston too. The exhibition of Chinese artists is food for thought.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin