Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,070   Online: 930

View Poll Results: Would you like an Apug magazine

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather no magazine at this time.

3 8.82%
  • Maybe later when we have grown more

8 23.53%
  • Never

2 5.88%
  • Yes do it

13 38.24%
  • Storm photovision magazine and put Steve Anchel in as the Apug Editor

8 23.53%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Probably you are a little ahead of your time Aggie. Presently I think we should support the great magazines that are out there stuggling away to make ends meet. Black and White Magazine is one of my favorites and I buy it thru my local magazine store rather than take out a subscription. I know the mag makes more money if I subscribe, but I want to support a local business in addition to the magazine.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Aggie

Look from another viewpoint:
    WE ARE Internet geeks, otherwise we would symply read a magazine and not be here...

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think anyone who has posted in this discussion has said no to the idea. I think everyone is trying to flesh out how to make it happen or areraising valid concerns about the F word- finances.

To be blunt, this endeavor costs money. A certain level of quality requires a certain level of $. The suggestions have been about how to make this thing happen from a variety of viewpoints regarding costs.

I agree that we at APUG have a great resource of talent and contacts to provide content. But that does not mean anyone here is an expert in photography magazine publishing. Therefore someone needs to get facts and figures from a current knowledgable person in that business.

It is fine to get opinions and have a poll but you need to be realistic about participation on APUG by registered members. Out of 800 plus members probably 50 contribute 80-90% of the posted content. That is the nature of the medium. Photonet probably has several thousand registered in various forums but a similar percentage contribute the majority of posts and replies. All that means is that you have to look beyond APUG for subscribers.

Finally, no great idea ever gets done by committee. Someone has to take the lead, ask for participation and then assign responsibilities. As Sean stated earlier, it is the person with the idea that usually has to run with the ball.

Don't get discouraged. Investigate some more. Ask specific questions that others on the site can either answer authoritatively or can point you in the right direction. I think you will find a lot of people willing to help. You just have to take a leadership role. Have a thicker skin when it comes to people disagreeing or questioning you ideas or decisions. If you know the idea is good always stick with it and make those who disagree have to prove their case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aggie,

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. A hold-in-the-hand paper magazine would be far preferable to the web option. My only concerns in that area were the additional cost, work and distribution problems it would cause. If I completely missed the point (not unusual!) I apologise.

I responded via the message and not via the poll as I wanted to give a better response than just a tick in a box.

I think the magazine is a great idea but also a huge amount of work. What I would say is, please don't get disheartened or discouraged. Design by committee never works anyway.

Am I interested in an APUG magazine? Yes.
    Would I pay to receive one? Yes, within reason. (I have a fairly broad sense of reason on this issue!)
    Am I prepared to help out? Yes, within reason. (I have a very demanding full-time job and my photographic knowledge is not sufficient to be a contributor, but I'm happy to do a bit of proofreading, etc.)

Whether this idea goes forward or not, it's still a damn good one.

All the best,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just want to qualify my vote. I am all for an APUG magazine, but I voted for the Steve Anchell option. I didn't realize this was a literal option, I just wanted to vote for an option where someone with periodical experience could make sure everything went relatively smoothly. After reading Aggie's post about her previous experiences (not to mention the contacts we've got here on the board) I think we should really go for it! I was setting aside $5/paycheck to pay for my Photovision subscription, but after hearing what has happened I may just funnel that cash towards my credit card bill (don't ever make the mistake of living off credit cards). I wouldn't mind doing the same thing to pay for my apug subscription--it's how I was able to purchase one of Michael Smith's wonderful books. I have technical experience in the graphic arts using not just photoshop, but also pagemaker and the newer--and MUCH better--Adobe InDesign.

The idea of lower cost portfolios from a number of the people on the board to help give the magazine some financial stability is great too! I would love to contribute to the magazine at large, though I don't know what I could contribute. Maybe we could do a small series on personal darkrooms and then I could do a small piece on the one I'm building (and will hopefully have built by the time the mag is up and running). I like the idea ofa paper magazine, but also understand the proponents of the .pdf idea as the overhead would be very small. Maybe the idea of laserprinting the magazine could be looked at for the first issue or two, until the logistics have all been worked out. I think this is a great idea and I'm a big magazine/book guy. I've saving up for my Black and White Photography subscription right now (it's $70/year over here in the US)--hey, that's where my Photovision money can go

sorry for the rambling, I wasn't too sure where I was going with this when I started typing
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I think the APUG magazine is a fantastic idea I think of all the work it would saddle Aggie with. I've spent most of my life working for newspapers or print shops and I know what a colossal investment in time and money any publication is. The magazine needs to be started by someone who is absolutely passionate about it or they will become disheartened rather quickly and find other avenues of expression. If Aggie wants to be that person I applaud her, but I'll not try to push anyone into it for humane reasons.
    Aggie if you were to do this I'd recommend picking Steves brain clean for any thing that would help make the job easier or better. He probably has a good bit of networking in the industry you could make use of.
    Of course if this project means you won't have time to make pictures then stay away from it!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, all. I have been a bit scarce lately due to a hectic schedule (well, that's an understatement). Just for the record I will not stand in anyone's way when it comes to something like this. I find it all very exciting. Since I am so busy lately I can't contribute much right now, so would just be in a position to rubber stamp everything with my approval.

As for the 1st issue...

A while back I had an idea based on the Traveling Portfolio Project. That we publish an annual "APUG Portfolio". This could be an elegant publication similar to lenswork, showcasing the world's best in Traditional Photography. I imagine something done with class and over time becoming a highly anticipated event in the photography world. Something along the lines of 6-8 months of aquiring submissions, and several months of editing, then to the presses for high end reproduction.

It's just another suggestion. A way to test the waters and get our name on the news stands. Since it's an annual publication it can be sold for a decent price and maybe wrapped in plastic to prevent the look at it and leave it crowd...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey, that's great news, Aggie.

If there's anything I can do, you can count me in.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin