Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,624   Online: 1175

View Poll Results: Would you like an Apug magazine

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather no magazine at this time.

3 8.82%
  • Maybe later when we have grown more

8 23.53%
  • Never

2 5.88%
  • Yes do it

13 38.24%
  • Storm photovision magazine and put Steve Anchel in as the Apug Editor

8 23.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been catching my breath, and preparing an answer for the idea of using APUG as **THE** ulitimate source of intelligence of a "Shall we go digital or not" decision... and to some of the specifics as to how it was done over there.

Whatever ... Anchell was, and continues to be, a significant contributor to the conception I have of my personal aesthetic world. Draft him ... "*HIS* ideas are truly worthwhile ... I don't have any idea of the rest of that group.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think a printed magazine would be feasable. The minimum print runs must be huge. An online magazine however would/might be possible. I've read some car based ones that exist like that. They usually have 3-5 articles each month, with the previous ones staying online, slowly building up a sizable knowledge base. APUG already can take articles (which it already does on an adhoc basis) so maybe formalising that (with a dedicated main homepage) with regular articles each month that someone (Aggie ) could be in charge of (Editor in Chief!). As a past editor/publisher of a Kart Club newsletter, I know just organising enough freebie articles would be a sizable job.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While we are at it ... I have a suggestion: Brazenly. out-and-out flat **COPY** "Camera & Darkroom"!! As long ago as that magazine went under, there is *still* a dedicated following. I have *no* doubt that I am not alone in re-reading the old issues, and crying in my socks when I reflect on the fact that it is no longer available.
    What a lineup of contributors!! Gordon Lewis, Ctein, Steve Anchell, A.D. Coleman, Tom Fuller, Mike Johnston, Alfred A. Blaker, Dave Howard, Dean Brierly... Tom Harrop, and Ana Jones as editors....

To tell the truth, APUG is the closest thing I've found to C&D.... that is, to a large measure, why I am here.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think a print publication would be a very dicey proposition in light of the struggles that Steve has had getting subscribers to Photovision and the fact that View Camera and Camera Arts have had to move increasingly to digital content, to gain new readers or satisfy existing ones.

A web based publication would be the way to go. But then you have to decide how are you going to finance the site. Advertising with pop-ups and banner ads? Do you go the subscription route, and who is going to maintain the site and be responsible for gathering content.

If we do explore the web option, you need to contact Ed Buffaloe at Unblinkingeye.com. He has the closest thing in many ways to a web-zine with galleries or artists, technical articles that he adds to with regularity written by some outstanding practioners of photography. He might be willing to provide some input or connections, maybe be a contributor.

I think essays and articles about photography, and photographs should be included, not just how to articles and interviews with photogs. Photovision does a good job with its columnists and another example is the essays in every issue of Lenswork.

The suggestion to mimic C&D is a good starting point. But I also think we need to think hard about the advantages the Web provides and use them to our advantage to create something unique.

As content grows, you could also look at the possibility of reproducing issues or selected articles, portfolios and essays onto a CD and selling to subscribers to help promote the site.

Anyway just some ideas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One other suggestion when it is up and running, please place a one year moratorium on publishing color photos of slot canyons. Refer such submissions to View Camera magazine or Outdoor Photographer. They seem to need such material about every other issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second that.

Perhaps base it on Black And White Photography (UK mag) and just do a better website than theirs (the one of theirs I found sucked).
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Expand the moratorium to include Anazasi ruins and Half Dome Mountain as well, and I'm in :P
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    I agree that a print magazine is a little dicey right about now... What about having a pdf soft copy "magazine"?
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a web-based option would probably be a better bet than paper, especially given how spread apart we are. Logistically and financially it would probably be better too.

How about a pay-per-view area of this site, possibly with the articles trickled onto the main site after a suitable delay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin