Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,675   Online: 1171

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So call it Analog Photography and leave it at that. Sorta names it after APUG.
    Gary Beasley

I'd be happy to contribute articles or writings within my limited expertise - and I use that word while stifling a guffaw. My approach tends to be experimental and I engage in what would be better called "evaluations" than "tests." As a former journalist I come equipped with my own copy of the AP stylebook. And I know the difference between a Waterhouse stop and a hole in the ground.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Call it "Analog Photography" and you'll invite all manner of senseless pedantry about how LightJet prints are really "analog" and B&W film is in some narrow sense "digital" and such.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Call it "Analog Photography" and you'll invite all manner of senseless pedantry about how LightJet prints are really "analog" and B&W film is in some narrow sense "digital" and such.
    I agree with David, I can just see the flood of letter and e mails. Naming it Camera & Darkroom I suppose would be ok, but we would have to check if the name is a registered trademark. Even though the magazine is no longer in publication I suppose Flynt might still hold the name trademark.

As far as compensation goes, if Aggie and Steve are willing to start the magazine without compensation I think it will not be difficult to get people to write articles and submit portfolios without compensation. MAgazines traditionally dont pay much for contributions, I was checking the submission guidelines for Lenswork and they pay $100 and I think 5 issues for an article/portfolio if published. Since this will be a start up magazine I think many will understand there is not much money available at the beguinning. Photographers traditionally are very generous with their knowledge and I think it is not far fetched to think some will be willing to help out to get the magazine off the ground.

Of ocurse the direction the magazine takes will be up to Steve and Aggie, but IMO the model that Lenswork is using is worth mulling over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    And we have to pay attention to such pedantry? Theres always going to be some so and so willing to create that kind of static and theres no reason we need to be worried by it.
    BTW I think the "APUG" for the magazine could be refered to as the Analog Photography Users Guide. :wink:

Shooter
    Large Format
    From a marketing viewpoint, don't think "APUG" for a name of new magazine is wise choice. If you're at a newstand in photography section, what are you going to leaf thru? Word recognition is important. If you have to explain a word - except for name brand recognition - then you're losing sales. If you want to reach out to more than just the in-the-know, a name for a new, struggling magazine is a critical choice.

These comments are said because I would really like to see a non-digital photo magazine be successful, just as I'd like to see non-digital photography preserved by more than a few die-hards. A "fine print" is an art form that can only be preserved thru recognition of its value.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    From a marketing viewpoint, don't think "APUG" for a name of new magazine is wise choice. If you're at a newstand in photography section, what are you going to leaf thru? Word recognition is important. If you have to explain a word - except for name brand recognition - then you're losing sales. If you want to reach out to more than just the in-the-know, a name for a new, struggling magazine is a critical choice.

These comments are said because I would really like to see a non-digital photo magazine be successful, just as I'd like to see non-digital photography preserved by more than a few die-hards. A "fine print" is an art form that can only be preserved thru recognition of its value.
    I think that Doug has a valid point. Additionally, from personal experience, I have found that the term "analog" is as distasteful to some folks as spinach. I wonder if, as a compromise, we might consider naming the magazine

Apug
    Traditional Photography.

What do you think?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can count on another subscription from me, Aggie.

FWIW, I tend to agree with Doug that a cryptic name on the newsstand could be problem. When I see a title with an anagram, I tend to assume it's some trade rag or technical journal which won't interest me much -- and newstands that are inclusive enough to carry this kind of magazine often are so packed as to only let the name be visible. I'd go with something simple but effective like "Non-Digital Photography" with "Non" highlighted in a different color -- given today'state of the industry, that title would certainly be an eye catcher.

I'd also try to have at least one feature in every issue on "alternative processes" which simply can't be replicated convincingly by digital (maybe interest Ed Buffaloe in the job of "alternative process" editor?). It strikes me that an undeclared goal of every issue should be to illustrate the wonderful photographic possibilities that would be lost in an all digital world.

Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan
    I have found that the term "analog" is as distasteful to some folks as spinach.
    I'm not sure about the spinach but Analog already exists. Or at least it used to. It's a Sci Fi mag.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin