Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,544   Online: 799

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I tend to think 'APUG' could develop into a type of 'brand' encompassing traditional photography. What does 'Kodak' mean after all? When I go down to megamags and look at the photography section (15+ photomags), anything with an interesting photo on the cover and a good topics list gets my attention. It could be called "dogmeat's quarterly photo journal", if the content is great I'll buy it...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brand name recognition costs millions of dollars to create; and is used by industries to differentiate a product where there is only trivial differences (Pepsi vs Coke). There are real differences between non-digital & digital techniques for creating a fine print, and that difference is I think the purpose of a new magazine. Traditional Photography: an APUG quarterly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was reading this earlier and almost posted "Traditional Photography" as a suggestion... so if it comes to a vote and that's an option, I'll be going for that I guess!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also like "Traditional Photography." "APUG" need not even be on the cover. It could appear inside under the masthead or maybe just the URL could appear somewhere on the cover.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I vote with Doug on this. This seems to distill everything this group is supposed to be about. But I would like to see it as

"Traditional Silver Photography: an APUG Quarterly"

lee\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My nomination serves my purposes only. I am a silver printer. To be inclusive I resend and recuse my title and go with Dougs name.

lee\c

Here is another vote for "Tradition" or "Classic" or some other positive and automaticaly recognizeable words in the name. You always have to explain "APUG" to most other photographers, and "non-digital" is a negative that makes the photogeeks think that all you are is a digital reactionary. I think most of us have made an affirmitive decision to go this way even if digital didn't exist. Traditional Photography has something special that we know about and want to share.

Bob

BTW one pre-subscription here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I vote with Doug on this. This seems to distill everything this group is supposed to be about. But I would like to see it as

"Traditional Silver Photography: an APUG Quarterly"

lee\c
    Lee that has a nice ring to it and covers the whole concept well. Your or Dougs version would get my vote whichever one is used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There do seem to be a ludicrous number of purely digital photography mags on the market! I think you're right, Aggie; they can't all survive in the long term.

More worrying to me is the rapid swing of mainstream photo mags towards a digital bias. I currently subscribe to Practical Photography here in the UK but, if they keep going the way they are at the moment, this may be a very temporary arrangement!

I just received their Black and White special. I'm startled to have to report that there don't seem to be any articles in it at all on traditional darkroom techniques! There's a review of which films are best for scanning, inkjet papers, continuous inking systems... ...the closest it comes is a look at some chromagenic B&W films. It's a bloody joke!

Their dedicated digital photography section seems to be growing too; I wonder how long it will be before the bulk of the mag is digital with a small traditional section somewhere at the back. :-(

Ailsa, if you're watching, please don't let your excellent publication go down the same road!

(Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant; I had to get it out of my system! Now, back to the matter at hand.)

I realise you're getting bombarded with suggestions at the moment, Aggie, but I would like to add (yet) another to your stockpile (sorry!). I'd really like to see a Featured Member column, similar to the one on the site at present.

Looking around at the members here on the site, the range of skills and chosen fields is huge and the level of knowledge in those fields is immense. With Les, Thomas, Ed, Cheryl, Lex, Alex, etc, etc, etc... (I'm going to stop now because typing in the full list would make my fingers hurt!) we could have a brilliant featured member once a quarter for several decades even on our existing membership!

As a relative newbie to the whole photography arena I find that one of the biggest benefits I get from hanging around here is the exposure to different ideas, methods and viewpoints from people who really know their chosen fields. I'd cite examples but I think I'd embarrass some people in the process! You get the general idea anyhow.

All the best

Frank

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin