Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,716   Online: 908

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: !

I like the notion of APUG figuring prominently in the title. It's an intriguing term and would tend to make folks stop and pay an extra moment's attention.

"Wot! Izzit about Pug dogs? Pugnacious people? I must stop and have a look..."

Or something like that.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I'm the dissident voice over here.

I've been involved with telecom for over 30yrs now and before retiring (kind of) I've been technology director for two telcos.

The only thing growing in telecom is the Internet! Youg people do no read magazines anymore - they go for the NET.
    Apple is making a bundle out of iTunes - they've sold over 10 million tunes already.

So, if you want a real paper mag it's Ok, but since all the edition will be made using a PC why not two versions - paper and digital?
    Yes, digital - up to the moment ink is placed on paper everything will be digital. Even the analog images will be scanned, digitalized and printed.

Let the buyer decide.

Jorge O

While the web has replaced the printed page for some purposes there's still plenty of room for a traditional magazine. I see kids reading lots of magazines. The trick is to identify the market.

For example, gamers often prefer a magazine full of hints, tips and cheats to a text file, PDF or other file on the computer. It's awkward to switch from game mode to hunt for a bit of info - easier to keep a magazine next to the computer or game console.

Brides to be still buy magazines. Folks thinking about redecorating still buy magazines. Insert your own pet example.

The fact is that, IMHO, the web is great for discussions and lousy as a substitute for the printed page. Staring at a monitor makes my eyes bug out. There are centuries of collective wisdom about typography, kerning, letter-, word- and line-spacing, among other factors, behind the printed page.

Meanwhile I'm getting a headache trying to see the teensy default font used to enter this very reply.

Also, I still have some back issues of Shutterbug and Pop Photo dating back several years that had some interesting articles on darkroom stuff. I no longer have access to any of the stuff on my old PCs or Macs. When I upgraded or the old stuff crashed I just kissed 'em goodbye, along with all the data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the idea of a title followed by a mention of apug.

"Traditional Silver Photography: An APUG Quarterly"- what about things appearing in the publication that are not really traditional or silver based?

"Real Photography: An APUG Quarterly"- that name would send the digiheads into a total fury, hehe.

I remember when I came up with a name for this site It took weeks to find something that could broadly cover everything that would be discussed here. And also something that was catchy and easy to remember. I knew no matter what name I chose it would not please everyone. I think this site needs a strong connection to the magazine so that both can benefit each other. Magazine subscriptions will rise because of this site, and hit's to the site will increase because of the magazine.

Speaking of this site, I'm posting a lot of updates today so need to get to it. See ya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images
    How about "Analog Photographer" The APUG Quarterly????
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    How about "Analog Photographer" The APUG Quarterly????
    Then you'll get into month long bickering sessions arguing the semantics of the word 'analog'. I've been there and gave up, but if you're up to the challenge

Images
    I'm always up for bickering
    hi!

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I'm always up for bickering
    That's why I like APUG in the title. It could be A PUGnacious Photographer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Traditional Photography : APUG Special Edition #1"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin