Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,592   Online: 939

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Anchell View Post
    Publishing companies closely follow established indicators. One is how well a book does in pre-sales. A second is how well in does in the first two weeks.
    No, no, publishers will give a book at least four weeks to sell. I mean, sheesh, it's not Hollywood. Also, bookstores find it essential to make sure that the book is off the shelf and packed up for returns before any reviews appear that let readers know the book exists.

DCB Sales

Dear Moopheus,

You are correct. Stores give at least 4 weeks, and usually longer, to see how a book will sell.

However, publishers monitor book sales over certain predetermined periods. The first is, of course, pre-sales which are closely watched, but the most important is the first two weeks of publication. If a title/subject does well in the first two weeks (which includes the pre-sale figures) the publisher - and competing publishers - are more likely to publish additional books by the same author OR by other authors on the same subject.

For me, I'm booked out, thank you. But if we as workers in silver wish to see more books on silver by other authors published by Focal Press, Watson-Guptill, et al, then the DCB needs to have a good showing.

Bear in mind that since 1994 when it was first published the DCB has sold approximately 12,000 copies, total.

A successful digital book does that in one year and some as much as 50,000+. We need to rally behind this book in order to let the industry know that we're still here.
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

I was just informed that you can purchase it from the publisher, Focal Press, http://www.elsevierdirect.com/produc...=9780240810553. If you cannot get it from the local bookstore, please buy from Focal. This is the most direct way to let them know we are here.
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,

The link you gave doesn't work without cookies enabled, and doesn't tell you that if you don't have them enabled. It redirects to a page that appears only as an endless loop. BTW, that page also shows 89 errors reported by the W3C validator.

Lee

Thank you for checking it out and reporting back. The way I found it was to type in www.focalpress.com and in their search box I typed in The Darkroom Cookbook and it took me right to the 3rd edition. Give that a try, Lee.
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

order

I just clicked on the link and went directly to the page...book ordered
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for checking it out and reporting back. The way I found it was to type in www.focalpress.com and in their search box I typed in The Darkroom Cookbook and it took me right to the 3rd edition. Give that a try, Lee.
    Get yet another page with that link, another endless loop unless cookies are enabled, telling me to click on a choice between N. America or outside N. America, again and again and again....

It doesn't bother me. I know how to get around it, but others with cookies disabled may not understand what's going on. That's the reason I reported the problem. Some internet businesses shoot themselves in the foot like this on a regular basis, demanding cookies, using MS IE proprietary code, etc, not understanding that they're turning away customers. Just thought you might like to know.

I already have the Film Developing Cookbook, Darkroom Cookbook, and VC Printing Manual, and refer to them on a regular basis. I'll be getting the revised Darkroom Cookbook as well, since you seem to have included a lot of new material of interest to me.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ordered the Latest Edition of The Darkroom CookBook direct from www.focalpress.com
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    It doesn't bother me. I know how to get around it, but others with cookies disabled may not understand what's going on. That's the reason I reported the problem. Some internet businesses shoot themselves in the foot like this on a regular basis, demanding cookies, using MS IE proprietary code, etc, not understanding that they're turning away customers. Just thought you might like to know.
    Lee's hit an area in website design that is often overlooked. It's even worse with all those free photo website templates out there that have embedded click through ads and the like.

For those with cookie problems, it's actually quicker (less clicks) if people went to http://www.elsevierdirect.com and ordered it from there. The sequence of website redirections goes like this: FocalPress.com --> FocalBookstore.com --> ElsevierDirect.com. Each site requiring a cookie to move it to the next site in the flow. One can see how this would confuse the heck out of a net novice.

Anyway, back to the book, I pre-ordered one too.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 09-01-2008 at 05:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Its the only book I keep in the darkroom. Great reference, so pre-ordered latest. Thanks for the revision.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin