Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,168   Online: 963

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Third Edition of the Darkroom Cookbook coming up!

I just got the announcement from Amazon in my inbox today:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240810554/...30730_pe_ar_d1

I am looking forward to see this in print. I already own the Film Developing Cookbook, so I hope the new Darkroom Cookbook will have interesting new information!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up. I put it on my wish list.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What's new?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No idea, the preview chapter is not up yet.

Steve Anchell posts here every once in a while, so I hope he'll see the thread.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, it probably fixes that dangerous typo about handling sodium hydroxide repeated several times throughout the book that was corrected with an errata sheet. Having had to demand an errata sheet for an editor's error in an anthology where I'd published a translation of a literary work once, I know those things always get lost.

In any case, I probably use it more than any other technical photo book these days, so I'll be interested to see the update.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about Anchell and Troop? Any opinions out there?

PE

The Darkroom Cookbook, 3rd Edition

Yes, Mark, the third edition of The Darkroom Cookbook is on its way to the press. Thank you for mentioning it on APUG.

For this edition I asked other photographers, many of them APUG members, for personal contributions. These include Bruce Barnbaum, Rod Dresser, Jay Dusard, Patrick Gainer, Richard Garrod, Henry Gilpin, Gordon Hutchings, Sandy King, Les McLean, Saïd Nuseibeh, France Scully Osterman, Mark Osterman, Tim Rudman, Ryuijie, John Sexton, John Wimberly, and David Wood. Each has contributed some tip or technique on their area of expertise along with a representative photo.

The formulas were gone over with a fine tooth comb by Mark Booth of Washington, Paul Lewis of Canada, Ian Grant of the U.K. and Turkey, and Larry Hussar of Michigan. For example, in Kodak DK-15 I specified 5.5 grams of metol, they corrected it to be 5.7 grams! And that’s just one example.

In addition, the chapter on toning was thoroughly gone through by Tim Rudman; the chapter on Printing Out Paper was almost entirely rewritten by the Ostermans; Patrick Gainer shared formulas and information on glycol/TEA; Sandy King helped with the pyrocatechin section; David Wood of .dr5 Chrome Lab worked with me on reversal processing and even provided variations of the formulas he uses; and there were a number of other contributions.

The new edition includes:

1. A chapter on reversal processing and enlarging negatives (Shutterbug magazine has agreed to publish an excerpt on enlarging negatives in an upcoming issue).

2. Several new pyro formulas.

3. Updated information on pushing film.

4. Expanded chapter on pyro and pyrocatechin.

5. Expanded chapter on printing.

6. Expanded chapter on toning (thanks to Tim).

7. Expanded chapter on Salted Paper and Printing Out Paper, including the formula and technique for Collodio-Chloride Printing Out Paper, which hasn’t been published for over 100 years. This was provided by Mark Osterman of the George Eastman House.

The real prize, for me, is new information on the Weston’s amidol formulas and a section about Brett and his working methods, including a rare photo of Brett with his 11x14” view camera, and two hand-written notes (reproduced) shared by Brett’s close friend, photographer Richard Miller.

And yes, David, the faux pas on sodium hydroxide was fixed. My sincerest apologies to all for letting that one slip past me in the heat (no pun intended) of editing the second Cookbook – for which I take full responsibility. It is thanks to user groups such as APUG that those things get caught and people saved from potential harm.

As soon as I can I will post an excerpt or two on my web site. I'll letcha know when that occurs.

P.S., Arigram, does that answer your question . . . what's new?
    Steve Anchell
    Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook
    The Nude at Big Sur

www.steveanchell.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds excellent, Steve. I'll be looking forward to it!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, sounds like an interesting tome! Glad you took time to fill us in, Steve. I recognize many of the names from APUG, so maybe in a few years this will be the APUG Cookbook?

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Placed my order.
    Cheers,
    Clarence

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin