Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,497   Online: 991

Shooter
    Large Format

Annual Weston Photographic Auction

Kim & Gina Weston have launced their annual auction of fine prints starting today. Details here:

http://www.westonphotographyeducationassociation.org/

mergross.com

Images
    I see that they exclude students who use digital capture. That probably eliminates the best and most original work being done these days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Bill,
    Excluding students who use digital capture eliminates some work. I think to say it eliminates the best and most original work can only be said by a person who walks with blinders through the photographic art world. There are still huge numbers of photographers doing fantastic work using any on of the many analog processes from wet plate to silver gelatin and platinum.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Images
    1) I said PROBABLY, and 2) it refers to the students, not the general photographic community. Welcome to the 19th Century.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    Welcome to the 19th Century.
    Oh, good grief. These folks are giving away money and they can give it to who they wish. If they wish to give it to what they consider important, as opposed to what you consider the "best" and "most original", um, oh well! :rolleyes:
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I see that they exclude students who use digital capture. That probably eliminates the best and most original work being done these days.
    Could use one of those Souhtwest Airline get aways about now
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    1) I said PROBABLY, and 2) it refers to the students, not the general photographic community. Welcome to the 19th Century.
    At the college where I teach we fill nine analog classes each semester. It is only with difficulty that we fill two digital classes. A fair number of those who enroll in digital classes do so only because they are required for their degree.

From these numbers I theorize that the students truly interested in making art are far more interested in analog,and yes 19th century in some cases, than in digital.

Kim and Gina's efforts to further the interest in analog processes is to be cheered, not derided.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wish I could see the images that are being offered? Am I missing how to see it?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Robert, on the left margin, click "Annual Auction Fundraiser". That should take you to the images.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darn, I'm sorry to have missed the auction. Prices seem very reasonable. I need to pay attention next year -- and save some money!

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin